ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right

Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right Reply with quote

Knight

MY company is not giving out any admin right to Windows user. I was wondering if I can some how get the MQ explorer installed without admin right knowing that it is mostly Java and uses Java client connections or is there any MQ explorer equivalent that can be used on windows without any installation which normally requires admin right ?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Our MO71 product is just a simple download/unzip/run and can do pretty much all MQ Explorer can do and a lot more besides. You can find out more about it here http://www.mqgem.com/mo71.html

If you would like to try it out I would be happy to send you a trial licence.

Cheers,
Paul.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

But does it (MO71) require MQ client to be installed first. MQ client installation requires Admin rights. My laptop has no IBM software installed yet. I was hoping that Java based solution will only require copying of Java files
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Oh yes....you need to have the MQ Client installed. Sorry, I didn't realize that this machine didn't even have MQ on it.

Cheers,
Paul.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

It looks like you will have to go the VM route. If they won't install VMware or VirtualBox then I'd be making sure that my CV is updated and start looking for another job. Their IT policy is stopping legitimate work from being carried out that will hit their bottom line.
Been there, faced the same problems as you and left less than 4 weeks after starting.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right Reply with quote

Poobah

KIT_INC wrote:
MY company is not giving out any admin right to Windows user.

This is becoming quite common, and annoying.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

The IIB V9 tool kit can be installed with 'noadmin' option. I believe that it uses Java client. I was hoping that something similar can be done for MQ explorer.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

KIT_INC wrote:
The IIB V9 tool kit can be installed with 'noadmin' option. I believe that it uses Java client. I was hoping that something similar can be done for MQ explorer.

But it says here:

Quote:
If you installed IBM Integration Toolkit without root or administrator authority, switch to a user with root or administrator authority and run the following script file from the IBM Integration Toolkit home directory to complete the installation:

mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's not entirely clear that MQ Explorer needs admin rights to install - except for the fact that Windows likes only admins to do installs.

But I personally haven't checked the knowledge center or the install guide.

It's also just a set of eclipse tools, and is available as a standalone package that can be installed into any eclipse.

Or, likely, merely copied from another machine that does have it installed.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right Reply with quote

Jedi

KIT_INC wrote:
MY company is not giving out any admin right to Windows user.

In your organization, what is the normal process for requesting any app to be installed on your Windows PC? Surely a Windows admin person can install MQ explorer on your behalf.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

gbaddeley wrote:

In your organization, what is the normal process for requesting any app to be installed on your Windows PC? Surely a Windows admin person can install MQ explorer on your behalf.

In some companies every application has to be 'approved' before it can be installed everywhere. This can take 3-6 months. Most of this approval is done by people who don't know the application and work in a different department from where products like MQ are being used.

One former employer would also scan your device and look for standalone versions of things like Firefox, Notepad++ etc etc and REMOVE them if they were found. And no, this was not a bank or a medical institution.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
If you installed IBM Integration Toolkit without root or administrator authority, switch to a user with root or administrator authority and run the following script file from the IBM Integration Toolkit home directory to complete the installation:

I confirmed with IBM that this step is only necessary if I want to have a local broker on your Windows PC also. The toolkit will work if I am connecting to remote brokers. In my case all my brokers (V9) are on Linux and I just use my toolkit to access them. I am not a heavy toolkit user. I cannot say that everything is working. But so far I have not come across any problem without doing this step.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Finally I got temporary admin right for a few days to install all the products I needed for MQ support. They will took it away after that. Now I ran into another issue. We were are on MQ701 and migrating to V8. The security change in 7.1 had no impact on us before. After some more reading and testing, the admin right issue becomes bigger. I now have the problem described here
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21660415
Error AMQ7077 when using Windows 7 or later, when trying to start or end a queue manager. and the answer is
"In Windows 7 and later, you need to perform administrative tasks with MQ by explicitly specifying "Run as administrator", to explicitly have a session with elevated rights, when opening a command prompt or when starting the MQ Explorer. This option is shown in the context menu when doing a right click on the desired program icon."

So now admin right is not just for installation but also needed for day to day operation. I probably has not done all the necessary home work to understand all the new MQ security changes yet. But some one who can share their experience on being able to support MQ without admin right will help me to determine if I should ask management to starting fighting for getting us admin right now (they may takes weeks to get a yes or no). of course if there is a way to get around it, our management will be more than happy to avoid the fight.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Have you looked into what happens if you have the qmgrs start automatically and you recycle the MQ Service?

I know not the best of all words because all qmgrs on the box are affected.
Outside of that you'd have to have admin access on the local box to start / stop a qmgr.

Well I guess that if you are able to start and stop a service you do have admin access and there should be no problem for you...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Install MQ explorer on Windows without Admin right
Jump to: