ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MB Uninstallation without disturbing MQ

MB Uninstallation without disturbing MQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: MB Uninstallation without disturbing MQ Reply with quote

Hello All,

Because of project requirement, we have to uninstall message broker, but we need to keep WebSphere MQ running in our production server. Currently we have message broker v7 and MQ v7 running together. Can some one pls let me know, if I try uninstalling message broker, will there be any impact on running of MQ. We don't want to disturb MQ set up. We just need to uninstall MB to save cost.

My gut feeling is that, it should not be a problem, but I need a confirmation, before I proceed on our test environments(I can't afford to take risk).

Please help.

Thanks.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It would help to know the platform of course.

But you can uninstall the broker software without uninstalling MQ.

I don't believe deleting a broker would delete the associated QM, but you can check the command in the knowledge center to make sure.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zpat. Env is Windows.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You're good to go. You do realize however that removing the broker also removes the corresponding license which covered the broker's queue manager. If you want to keep MQ you will have to license it!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fjb_saper.

Only reason we are uninstalling message broker is to save cost. I do realise that we still need to pay for MQ, but overall cost will be less(this is my understanding).

One more question, while uninstalling, shall I uninstall "Installation manager" as well. I wan't to retain, WebSphere MQ explorer to monitor MQ objects. Please let me know.

Thanks.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

MQ Explorer does not use Installation Manager so you can go ahead and remove it.

If you don't believe me then use IM and look at the list of products installed with it. Does MQ**** where **** = anything appear?

The time taken to post and wait for a reply is IMHO far in excess of what it would take to actually do it for yourself. That way you would learn a lot more rather than relying on "possibly slightly dubious" strangers on the Internet for advice.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks smdavies99.

Yes I understand that its better to do hardwork yourself. But I also wan't to know what others think and might have faced. This involves a big risk for me, so I am exploring every available options.

Thanks again.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MB Uninstallation without disturbing MQ
Jump to: