ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » WAS interface to queue manager RE setmqenv

WAS interface to queue manager RE setmqenv « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: WAS interface to queue manager RE setmqenv Reply with quote

Partisan

We are migrating all of our MQv7.0.1.9 queue managers to MQv8.0.2 and this is impacting all of our WAS systems. Both MQ and WAS are co-hosted on AIX.

The MQ migration is an upgrade in place with side-by-side queue managers. One is MQv7.0.1.9 and the other is MQv8.0.2 with the primary remaining MQv7.0.1.9 until the applications certify they function on MQv8.0.2.

But this is not an MQ issue. The issue is WAS and how it finds the MQ libraries.

With MQv7, MQ is installed to /usr/mqm. In v8, it is installed to /something/else/usr/mqm.

In WAS, we have variables set up like "MQ_INSTALL_ROOT" that is set to /usr/mqm so WAS can find the MQ libraries.

PROBLEM: When WAS connects to MQ in bindings mode it gets an error when MQv8 is queue manager. It gets an mq 2059. I resolved (temporarily) the issue by appending "setmqenv -s -k -x 32" to the .profile of the WAS functional ID. The -x 32 was required because, with only -s and -k args, the app reported an issue with java bitness. So if WAS is 64 bit, I use -x 64.

The setmqenv appended to the .profile works but I consider it a workaround until we have a better solution.

I am looking for ideas here. Our presumption is that at the end, when we make MQv8 the primary (we can't do it now because you can't with MQv7.0.1.9 installed) using setmqinst, this issue will go away.

Has anyone else here encountered this issue and what did you do to resolve it?

Ideas are good, even if you have not experienced it.

Thank you
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Switch your library. Set the java.library.path to the implementation with the highest version (8.0.0.2) and you should still be able to connect to the 7.0.1.x version. Make sure you choose $MQ_INSTALL_PATH/java/lib or lib64 depending on whether you are running was with a 32 or 64 bit JVM.

Have fun
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
Set the java.library.path to the implementation with the highest version (8.0.0.2) and you should still be able to connect to the 7.0.1.x version.

So obvious and it embarrasses me that I did not think of it. I was needlessly worrying about how to get get back to WMQv7 binaries. This will work fine as long as we do not uninstall the WMQv8 binaries.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way so that WAS is not so impacted by future MQ upgrades. [/quote]

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » WAS interface to queue manager RE setmqenv
Jump to: