ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » CONNAME - must we use IP or NAME ?

CONNAME - must we use IP or NAME ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: CONNAME - must we use IP or NAME ? Reply with quote

Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
Does that mean that if you have NAT you would create 2 (or more) cluster receiver channels, one per IP? if you are really worried about efficiency of the DNS name resolution should you not have all the needed names in the /etc/hosts to bypass the DNS and supply the correct information? This would still allow you to supply a different IP depending on where in the network your host is located...

My reply was to the OPs pondering about efficiency.

I would not consider ip address vs. DNS name the greatest opportunity for performance tuning - not the low-hanging fruit that yields significant throughput improvement - because:
- channels don't (re)start all that frequently
- most destinations (names or addresses) are known in advance
- most destinations will be available most of the time

My worst-case scenario is/was a hypothetical - what if the DNS names were presented were random (not known)?

Been to Japan? In some of the older cities house numbers (addresses) were issued in order of their construction, and not order of placement. House 1 could be next to house 252. Locating a residence would involve a DNS-like lookup - a longer path.

Hard-coding has its merits and down-sides.
zpat
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

This is a completely pointless thread given that DNS resolution does not happen that often (and can easily be cached anyway).

If you are really bothered then increase the channel disconnect interval.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
This is a completely pointless thread ...

Clients ask these questions. It's useful to have an understanding of networking concepts.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » CONNAME - must we use IP or NAME ?
Jump to: