ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Maintaining WSDL contracts

Maintaining WSDL contracts « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Pats21
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Maintaining WSDL contracts Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi,

Take an example where I have an Enterprise Service Bus (say implemented in IIB) exposing multiple web services (say a typical SOA implementation).

Further, say I use a Common Data Model concept, whereby I have created multiple XSD's to represent the business entities and common data. And I have .wsdl files using these XSD's to expose them as web services to consumers.
Now, the scenario would be that these .wsdl files would be using/referencing multiple XSD's (which in turn might be referencing other XSD's as well).

Now if I have to share this contract with a consumer, I have to share the .wsdl file along with all the XSD's.
With the increase in .wsdl files, it might get to a scenario where I would be sharing .wsdl and XSD files which are not relevant to the operation that the consumer is using.
Hence, the consumer might be implementing XSD's that they are never going to use.
Also, it might becoming bit messy, un-managebale and trackable scenario, where by I would not know which XSD's are refered by which .wsdl files.

I would like to know what is the best way to maintain the WSDL contracts in this situation.

Not sure whether I was good in articulating my query, but I did my best.

Would explain further if required.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Pats
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You may well end up with 2 sets of files...
One complete with all xsds and wsdls for internal use.
One with the relevant wsdl(s) and all the needed xsds.
You may have to split xsds as new wsdls get created...

The level after the WSDL needs to contain all the messages used in the wsdl. The level beyond that should have the structures. And so on to the lowest level... You may still get some structure snippets that are not used for the particular wsdl but are used elsewhere...

Have fun
Pats21
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I understand that this is one of the way of doing it.
However, in that case with multiple consumers, I would end up with multiple versions of service contracts. Maintaining, tracking and providing updated versions of services definitions would be a task which would need a lot of care.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Pats21 wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I understand that this is one of the way of doing it.
However, in that case with multiple consumers, I would end up with multiple versions of service contracts. Maintaining, tracking and providing updated versions of services definitions would be a task which would need a lot of care.

Agreed, and if you don't use a source control repository, it will become very time consuming, very fast.
With a source control repository you can reference all the components at the release level of the wsdl.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Maintaining WSDL contracts
Jump to: