ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ v7.5 IBM Registry Key location

MQ v7.5 IBM Registry Key location « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dogbert64
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: MQ v7.5 IBM Registry Key location Reply with quote

Acolyte

For MQ v7.5 on Windows, this IBM link (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.mig.doc/q001530_.htm?lang=en) states that the "high level" WorkPath Registry key which contains info about Product Data directory for the multi-installs can be found at HKLM\SOFTWARE\IBM\WebSphere MQ. I have installed MQ v7.5 on Windows 2012R2 to two different install locations, and cannot find the WorkPath Registry key at the location indicated.

However, I did find WorkPath at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\MQSeries\CurrentVersion, which is similar, but not the same Registry key path. It appears to me that this is the doc was referring to.

Is the IBM document wrong, or am I mis-reading it?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I can confirm that the KC location is there for a V8.0 installation I have on a Windows 8.1 platform, and also for V7.5 on Server 2008. Sorry for an obvious question, but are you looking far enough up the tree?
dogbert64
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Yes, I am looking at the registry key at the proper level. After installing MQ v7.5 on Win2012R2, there is no HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\IBM\WebSphere MQ.

But I did find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\WebSphere MQ, and by chance it does have a WorkPath key under it. The Wow6432Node sent me investigating. Doing a dspmqver, I discovered that the QueueManager created is running at 32-bit. Looking through the MQ v7.5 docs, I couldn't find any explicit mention of 64-bit on Windows, as compared to MQ v8.0, which per IBM documentation, fully supports 64-bit for all queue managers. Can anyone confirm this?

I just assumed that MQ v7.5 on Windows was runs at 64-bit, but it appears not. So I think that explains the reason I could not find the WorkPath reg key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\WebSphere MQ.

According to this link
http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/whats-wow6432node-under-hkeylocalmachinesoftware-registry-subkey, Wow6432Node is a "registry reflector", which will redirect registry subkey reads for 32-bit apps to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> to registry subkeys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product>.

So, all in all, it appears that everything is simply working as designed. MQ v7.5 on Windows is still at 32-bit, even when installed on a 64-bit Win2012R2 OS.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

That is correct that IBM changed the Windows queue manager to run in a 64 bit address space at MQ 8.0. Previously, the queue manager ran in a 32 bit address space on Windows.
dogbert64
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank You. I had sort of come to that conclusion, but it is nice to get someone to confirm it.

I have downloaded MQ v8.0 and will proceed with that.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ v7.5 IBM Registry Key location
Jump to: