ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » A double cluster to get 2 CLUSRCVR channels?

A double cluster to get 2 CLUSRCVR channels? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: A double cluster to get 2 CLUSRCVR channels? Reply with quote

Poobah

3 QueueManagers (QMs) on 3 servers, QM1, QM2 and QMGateway.

QM1 has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QM1.CLUSTER1 which is in CLUSTER1. It also has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QM1.CLUSTER2 which is in CLUSTER2.
QM1 is a full repository for a cluster name list called CLUSTER1andCLUSTER2.

QM2 has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QM2.CLUSTER1 which is in CLUSTER1. It also has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QM2.CLUSTER2 which is in CLUSTER2.
QM2 is a full repository for a cluster name list called CLUSTER1andCLUSTER2.

QMGateway has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QMGateway.CLUSTER1 which is in CLUSTER1. It also has a CLUSRCVR called TO.QMGateway.CLUSTER2 which is in CLUSTER2.

The point of all this is so I can have 2 different dynamically created CLUSSNDR channels into each QM. I wish to do this for 2 reasons. First, CLUSTER1 will only have queues and applications that deal with messages greater than 50 MEG in size. CLUSTER2 will only deal with messages smaller than 500 bytes in size (numbers have been exaggerated to make the point). So I would like to insure that the 50MEG lunkers do not block the 500 byte peewees on the CLUSSNDRs as the big messages take their sweet time being sent across.

Will my idea work? If I have 2 clusters, I should have 2 channels that should not interfere with each other, correct? I wonder if the fact that there is still only 1 SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE to be shared between the 2 CLUSSNDRs will invalidate this concept (i.e. a message taking its sweet time going down a CLUSSNDR in CLUSTER1 will prevent a little message sitting in the XMIT queue from going down a CLUSSNDR in CLUSTER2.)?

Oh yeah, the second (and more important) reason I want to this is the whole concept of how a QM deals with persistent and non persistent messages when it relies on a SAN (remember that thread a little while back titled "How a MQSeries Hub does its thing with persistent / non-persi st m essages"). One of the things we agreed upon was that if both P and NP messages were being sent across a channel, and the receiving side of that channel had a SAN / hard drive outage all the message would start backing up on the sending side. The reason being was that even if the channel speed was FAST, P messages would still need to be logged and if the RCVR was waiting for resources to do that logging, it could not process NP messages either. A way around this is 2 channels.

So if I have two CLUSSNDRs going to each QM, and make one of the clusters only NP messages, and the CLUSSNDRs/CLUSRCVRs are set to FAST, then I assume NP messages will not be blocked by P messages waiting to be logged during a SAN blip in the other cluster (but the same QMs). Unless of course the fact that all messages, big and small, persistent and non, queue up in the same SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE.
dsim
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Not sure it will work
- first your concept doesn't look clear for me, although i've spent some time trying to (this could be my fault)
- second I don't think mq clustering can be used for filtering messages by size, I believe it has other meanings (load balancing, failover, easy setup/admin and so on)

Dan
EddieA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

The concept of multiple Cluster Sender channels all using the same XMIT queue shouldn't cause a bottleneck. That's what you also have in a single Cluster with multiple destinations. So your design with multiple Channels from multiple Clusters is no different.

The messages on the Cluster XMIT queue are retreived by the MCA(s) using Correlation ID. This is set to the name of the Channel that is going to be the lucky recipient. So, a biiiiiiiig message currently being processed in one Channel should not hold up the diddy one behind it that is for a different channel, be it on the same, or a different Cluster.

Cheers,
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Thanks Eddie. I have been testing this in my lab environment and it works as hoped. Anything happening in Cluster1 is not effecting messages in Cluster2.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » A double cluster to get 2 CLUSRCVR channels?
Jump to: