ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » amqsclm to make queue managers CA

amqsclm to make queue managers CA « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: amqsclm to make queue managers CA Reply with quote

Acolyte

We are planning to use amqsclm to achieve HA in our infra.
Here's the setup:-

We have two queue managers in cluster with all the same objects. And we are running the amqsclm program to move the messages across.

We have applications using JMS connection factories, Tomcat applications and stand alone java applications.
We have achieved some kind of reconnect capabilities with the JMS conn and Tomcat applications.

Right now, we have identified two problems with our setup.
1) Message sequencing
2) amqsclm not routing to queues if the listeners/apps are not connected long enough.

Is there a work around for either of these? Is this a good idea to achieve HA/CA?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: amqsclm to make queue managers CA Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abd.wsu wrote:
Right now, we have identified two problems with our setup.
1) Message sequencing
2) amqsclm not routing to queues if the listeners/apps are not connected long enough.

1) Message sequencing (better known as "message affinity") is a bad practice. Messages should not be reliant on other messages and one of the key reasons is exactly the problem you've found here. If you want to use this solution, redesign your applications not to use affinity

2) The amqsclm is a sample application. If it doesn't behave how you want, change it or write your own application.

abd.wsu wrote:
Is this a good idea to achieve HA/CA?

Frankly, no. It's based on the assumption that HA is at the application level. If one of the queue managers in the cluster fails then no application, amqsclm or otherwise, will be able to redirect the messages currently in that queue manager's queues to the other one. Those messages are effectively "lost" until the queue manager is restarted, and if the queue manager can't be restarted (e.g. disc error) then they're absolutely lost.

WMQ clusters for HA; they're not intended for HA and it comes at a price. It all depends how much HA you want.
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Vitor,

I am not sure message sequencing is message affinity. By message sequencing i mean application expecting messages in a particular order. ex: message 2 should come after message 1 and before message3 etc.

We had tried with a script to toggle the CLWLPRTY between the 2 queue managers and it was working fine but ti was complex and had it's own short comings. That's why we are thinking about amqsclm. When you say we can change it, do you mean tweak the parameters it takes?

I know MQ can never be complete HA but we want our applications to have no hiccups when one queue manager goes down. We are not worried about the messages sitting on the queue manager that went down. Almost all of the messages are persistent.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

MQ can be complete HA, if you use a mixture of Clustering and multi-instance and your applications make use of more than one connection.

amqsclm has source code, so you can change the program.

Message sequencing is bad, too, and is best handled using MQ grouping. Then you can tell the cluster to send all messages for one group to one qmgr.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

abd.wsu wrote:
Hi Vitor,

I am not sure message sequencing is message affinity. By message sequencing i mean application expecting messages in a particular order. ex: message 2 should come after message 1 and before message3 etc.

In your example, message 1 must precede message 2; and 2 must precede 3.

These messages have affinity to each other.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abd.wsu wrote:

I'm sure that's affinity.

abd.wsu wrote:
We had tried with a script to toggle the CLWLPRTY between the 2 queue managers and it was working fine but ti was complex and had it's own short comings. That's why we are thinking about amqsclm. When you say we can change it, do you mean tweak the parameters it takes?

No, I'm saying you can change the source code and build it again, or build your own application to perform this task. The amqsclm is intended to demonstrate capabilities, nothing more. If it happens to meet your needs, good. If it doesn't, change it.

abd.wsu wrote:
I know MQ can never be complete HA but we want our applications to have no hiccups when one queue manager goes down. We are not worried about the messages sitting on the queue manager that went down. Almost all of the messages are persistent.

Are you still not worried if the queue manager never comes up again? In that instance, even persistent messages are lost.What about if it takes you hours or even days to restart the failed queue manager? What's the impact to the business of those messages not being processed?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » amqsclm to make queue managers CA
Jump to: