ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » XSLT 2.0

XSLT 2.0 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tekt9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: XSLT 2.0 Reply with quote

Novice

Hi...
I need to do XSLT 2.0 transformation on IIB 9 (WMB 9), and please correct me if I am wrong, but the XSL transform node which uses the Xalan engine does not support this.

source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bz90210_.htm

Have any you experience with XSLT 2.0 transformation in IIB 9 and eventually what external libraries could be of use?

Best regards
Tharani
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

you could roll your own and do it via Java (shudders)

IMHO, XSLT is a bit of tech that should just curl up in a corner and die. But that's my opinion (that is worthless in the larger scope of things)

But some of the hack's I've seen used to get round the limitations of XLST 1.0 are just mindboggling but when it takes up to a minute to transform a message is just silly especially when a mapping node can do it in a second.
On another forum, my sig says
'If the answer is XSLT then you are asking the wrong question'.

Naturally other people may well have different views and opinions.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
shanson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

tekt9 - support for XSLT 2.0 has been requested by many customers. I'm sure there is an existing RFE for this here - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/?PROD_ID=532. Please add your vote to it.
t603
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

shanson wrote:
tekt9 - support for XSLT 2.0 has been requested by many customers. I'm sure there is an existing RFE for this here - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/?PROD_ID=532. Please add your vote to it.

Yes, please vote for XSL-T 2.0 (or even 3.0) support in IIB. I already did it. I can not imagine better technology for transforming XML than XSL-T - easy to learn, easy to develop, standardized, simply to test, debug, supported by stable XML DEV IDEs.

Moreover I would like to have capability to have reading and writing of message headers, environments, local environments using XSL-T.

XSL-T is fast enough unless one invoke Java for each message. One can try to and measure speed of XSL-T transformation using Saxon. ESQL looks for me messy by its nature for XML transformation with all its nonstandard XPath-like syntax, lack of common functions etc.

Direct URLs to the both XSL-T 2.0 related RFE (once You are already logged) are:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=53855

and

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=47235
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

t603 wrote:
ESQL looks for me messy by its nature for XML transformation with all its nonstandard XPath-like syntax, lack of common functions etc.

Care to elaborate further?

The Message Tree in Broker/IIB is totally format agnostic. This is perfect IMHO. Not everythig in this world is XML.

Can you expand on why XSLT is easy to debug. I've found it anything but. There again, I'm slightly biased in having the opinion that it is a two legged dog that should be led away and humanely destroyed as soon as possible (like Flash btw).

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

t603 wrote:
ESQL looks for me messy by its nature for XML transformation with all its nonstandard XPath-like syntax, lack of common functions etc.

Tell me again why you're paying all this money to IBM rather than just using an XSLT engine....?

t603 wrote:

And who's to say which is the correct one?

I do sometimes think that the ability to execute an XPath directly from ESQL rather than a SELECT (i.e. a choice, not a replacement) would be nice.

If memory serves and my limited understanding holds up, there's something about XSLT 2.0 in the IIBv10 Open Beta. You might want to check that out.
t603
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Vitor wrote:
Tell me again why you're paying all this money to IBM rather than just using an XSLT engine....?

...Because of IIB's (Broker's) great integration (~ connection) capability!
That is why I am not using XProc in Calabash, but IIB now. Well, maybe because of it (integration vs transformation) the new name of The Broker is IBM Integration Bus and not IBM Transformation Bus
Vitor wrote:
If memory serves and my limited understanding holds up, there's something about XSLT 2.0 in the IIBv10 Open Beta. You might want to check that out.

...I already checked it out each the second OpenBeta version. Still did not find it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

t603 wrote:
Vitor wrote:

...I already checked it out each the second OpenBeta version. Still did not find it.

I'm doing great this morning

t603
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

smdavies99 wrote:
Care to elaborate further?

Too long for this forum, I did (and do) not want to start any useless flamewar, I just wanted to advocated my beloved XSL-T 2.0, agains Your "let it die" opinion XSL-T - standalone, granular by nature, large user base, stackoverflow, oXygen...
smdavies99 wrote:
The Message Tree in Broker/IIB is totally format agnostic. This is perfect IMHO. Not everythig in this world is XML.

I said nothing about and against tree model. I did not see the non breaking binding between tree model and ESQL IMHO.
Also we have not only assembler, C, but also Java, awk, XSL-T, SQL... Most of data formats have their own manipulation languangue IMHO. Of course we have to have ESQL or Java for transformations of CopyBooks etc. in Broker, but while we have the ability to use PHP in IIB for transformation of ???, I would like to have well-implemented (maybe deployed as Java object) XSL-T 2.0 for transformation of XML (with access to the headers, environment), which is mainstream for short message exchange now.
smdavies99 wrote:
XSL-T ... should be led away and humanely destroyed as soon as possible (like Flash btw).

And the winner of similarity to the closed, non standardized, special tool needed for development and running of Flash is... Nooo, let's be all happy, all we need is perfect IIB for our job, do not we?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Sorry to rain somewhat on your parade. I just find it more intuitive and easier to do some transformations in ESQL than trying to do it in XSLT (whether 1.0 or 2.0)... But then that just might be me.
joebuckeye
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I have found XSLT to be useful in certain situations and can be quite elegant when done correctly. XSLT needs a different mindset from 'normal' programing to be done effectively.

But then again, almost all of our XSLT work gets done on Datapower and not broker.
ghoshly
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Support XSLT 2.0 in XSLT node Reply with quote

Partisan

Knowledge Center for IIB v10 ah36080_.htm still says XSLT 1.0 is what is supported.

Only XPATH 2.0 is supported through mapping node.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Right. There's a difference between what the XSLT node does, and supports, and the Mapping node.

If you really need XSLT 2.0 support and don't want to use the Mapping node, it should be straight forward to use a JavaCompute node to do this (or a .NET compute node). But it may be complicated to install.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » XSLT 2.0
Jump to: