ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Windows Client v7.1 - No shortcuts when installed

Windows Client v7.1 - No shortcuts when installed « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bpiotrowski
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Windows Client v7.1 - No shortcuts when installed Reply with quote

Hi All,

Forgive me if this has been discussed - I searched through the archives, but came up empty.

I have finished upgrading our iSeries MQ system to 7.1.0.3 (the highest available for my OS release). I installed the MQ client on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, and everything appeared ok until I got to the end. The last screen has three checkboxes, and the only checkbox I can select is "view release notes". The "remove wizard shortcut" and "Launch Websphere MQ Explorer" are both greyed out.

When I check the start menu there are no shortcuts to the MQ system - the only thing that was created was a shortcut folder named "IBM WebSphere MQ" with two shortcuts in it - one is for Key Management and the other is a preparation wizard. When I re-run the prep wizard it gets to the end and again the only checkbox I can select is "view release notes". The "remove wizard shortcut" and "Launch Websphere MQ Explorer" are both greyed out.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with admin rights, but I still get the same result.

Can I not use the Windows client to manage an MQ installation on the iSeries box? I downloaded the iSeries client thinking it may be platform specific, but the iSeries client is indeed only to be used on the iSeries - it is not a Windows executable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The base MQ client installer is not a management tool. It's a set of APIs and libraries for compiling and executing programs.

The only thing that ships with MQ that you can use to manage queue managers on remote machines is MQExplorer (except at v8, runmqsc can execute against remote queue managers).

MQExplorer is not part of the base client install package.

You can either install it from your server Cds or download MS0T

Or you could even potentially install an MQ V8 client (including all the component pieces using a custom install) and use the runmqsc in that.
bpiotrowski
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
The base MQ client installer is not a management tool. It's a set of APIs and libraries for compiling and executing programs.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I will install v8.0 MQ Explorer and see if I can connect to my install.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bpiotrowski wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I will install v8.0 MQ Explorer and see if I can connect to my install.

You can't connect to a MQ Client-only install, you can only connect to a Queue Manager that is running on a system with MQ Server installed.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Windows Client v7.1 - No shortcuts when installed
Jump to: