ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Is MQv8 compatible with MessageBroker v7 ?

Is MQv8 compatible with MessageBroker v7 ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tj
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Is MQv8 compatible with MessageBroker v7 ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I need your help here. I have installed the MQv8.0 on one of the AIX server. The installation came up successfull and I was able to start the queue managers.

I am facing issues while starting the brokers. When I check the broker configuration in the mqsiprofile file, it is still referring to the MQ version 7 default libraries.

Old MQ version - 7.0.1.8
New MQ version - 8.0.0.0
Current Broker version - 7.0.0.1

Can you please suggest me how to resolve this issue ? Is MQ8 compatible with MB7 ?

Thanks,
TJ
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is MQv8 compatible with MessageBroker v7 ? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tj wrote:
Is MQ8 compatible with MB7 ?

It's certainly not supported:

http://www-969.ibm.com/software/reports/compatibility/clarity-reports/report/html/softwareReqsForProduct?deliverableId=1106652668319&osPlatform=AIX

but then neither is the 7.0.0.1 version of broker you're using (7.0.0.3 is the lowest supported version).

- Did you install MQv8 co-existing with WMQv7?

- What steps have you taken to update the broker's queue manager to v8?

- What exactly in the mqsiprofile refers directly to the WMQ libs and what leads you to think this would be changed?
tj
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean to say 7.0.0.3 is the lowest supported broker version with MQ8 ?

I have tried 2 approached to install MQ (Single-stage and Multistaged)

Multistaged approach - I have installed the software in the non-default directory.
Default - /usr/mqm
MQ8 install - /usr/mqmv8/usr/mqm
The queue managers came up fine after migration to MQ8 but then brokers were still referring to /usr/mqm libraries in the mqsiprofile file

Code:

LIBPATH=${MQSI_FILEPATH}/xml4c/lib:/usr/mqm/lib64:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/ODBC/V6.0/lib:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/xlxpc/lib:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/
lib:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/bin:${LIBPATH}

CLASSPATH=${MQSI_FILEPATH}/classes/ConfigManagerProxy.jar:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/classes/brokerutil.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/com.ibm.m
q.commonservices.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/com.ibm.mq.headers.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/com.ibm.mq.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/com.ibm.mq.j
mqi.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/com.ibm.mq.pcf.jar:/usr/mqm/java/lib/connector.jar:${MQSI_FILEPATH}/messages:${MQSI_WORKPATH}/commo
n/wsrr:${CLASSPATH}

Single-staged approach - i have uninstalled MQ7 and then installed the new MQ version 8. Once again the queue managers came up fine but the brokers did not.
I've tried to backout the change, and then was not able to start the queue managers under version7.

Further analysis showed that the qmstatus.ini was still referring to v8.0.0.0 even after uninstalling.

Please suggest
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

tj wrote:

No. He means that no version of Broker before 7.0.0.3 is supported by IBM, with any version of MQ.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
tj wrote:

No. He means that no version of Broker before 7.0.0.3 is supported by IBM, with any version of MQ.

Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tj wrote:
Please suggest

- Decide if you want to co-exist 2 versions of MQ, with reference to the documentation

- If you decide to co-exist (multistaged approach) then don't be surprised when the brokers (and their queue managers) continue to use v7 because the point of such an approach is to allow you to leave things running as they are while you migrate manually onto the new version

- If you decide to upgrade in place (single-staged approach) then you need to complete all the steps rather than assume that the MQv8 installer will automagically notice you have WMB installed and change mqsiprofile. You should also not be surprised that things don't work correctly if you simply perform an uninstall and don't read the section marked "Results" in the InfoCenter (which it specifically calls out that the INI files remain on the file system) or go through the manual actions indicated in the InfoCenter under "What to do next", which include cleaning this stuff up.

And to be completely clear, in case agreeing with my most worthy associate didn't get the message over, I was attempting to convey that WMBv7.0.0.1 is not supported with MQV8 that you're trying to use, nor with WMQv7.n.n.n, nor any other version of WMQ (which would itself be unsupported).

WMBv7.0.0.3 (were you to go to it) is likewise not supported when used with MQv8 as the link I posted earlier makes clear, but is suported with your WMQv7.0.1.8.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

It's probably worth pointing out that while WMBv7.0.0.3 is the lowest supported version of WMB, WMBv7.0.0.7 is now out, so if you're going to upgrade it's fairly pointless just going to FP3.

Also that WMQv7.0.1.8 is a little way back now - while you're updating WMB pop WMQv7.0.1.12 on the machine at the same time.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

And should you be tempted to make that unholy test again, read preparing your environment for production. You may want to insert a little command file in the right stop that checks specifically for the broker's name (if available at that stage, which I doubt... so best would be to go with the userid...), gets the broker's qmgr and does a setmqenv -m qmgr...

Should that combination fail than truly there is no way to get this unsupported combination trying to work and you are SOL.

Have fun
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

This post should be in the forum "WebSphere MQ Installation/Configuration Support".

Remember, if you install a new version of MQ and start the Qmgr at that version (like V8 ), then your Qmgr will be migrated to that new version of the product and you cannot go back.

I hope you TARed the data and logs directory and the mqs.ini file...

If not, did you run a SAVEQMGR before you did the upgrade? How about amqoamd to get the security?

What was your back out plan?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
This post should be in the forum "WebSphere MQ Installation/Configuration Support".

Ok, so I've got out of the habit of looking at sections.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Is MQv8 compatible with MessageBroker v7 ?
Jump to: