ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Memory

MQ Memory « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
samsansam
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: MQ Memory Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello,

is there any way to calculate the memory used by Websphere MQ? I need to know how much memory software is using.

I don't need to used any tools , I just need a command to show me how much memory MQ is using.

We have Websphere MQ muilti instance. We have one Queue Manager.

Our OS is :

SunOS 5.10 Generic sun4v sparc sun4v

I did find some command in Google ,but none of them show me the MQ usage.

Name: WebSphere MQ
Version: 7.0.1.5
CMVC level: p701-105-110419
BuildType: IKAP - (Production)
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Memory Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

samsansam wrote:
I just need a command to show me how much memory MQ is using.

Why? What difference is this making to you?

samsansam wrote:
I don't need to used any tools

That's a bold statement. Why don't you think you need tools? Why not use the tools your sys admins are undoubtably using to monitor the box?

samsansam wrote:
I did find some command in Google ,but none of them show me the MQ usage

I bet they show you the usage by the WMQ processes. I accept this means that you don't get spoon fed a single figure & you'd want a calculator to obtain a total figure, and a calculator is a tool which you don't want to use but you can obtain the same effect old school by totalling the numbers in your head.

Which brings me back to my original question - why? What value does knowing this figure give you, and why not use the more useful (and detailed) figures on a process by process level? Typically you'd only ask this question if there was a problem, and for that you'd want to isolate the problem rather than just say "it's WMQ"
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

For Sun Solaris, I use the following command for finding the amount of memory that MQ processes are using:

ps -u mqm -o user,pid,vsz,rss,args

vsz is the virtual memory
rss is the physical memory

Please note there is a significant difference between virtual and physical memory. It is worth researching and understanding the difference, if you are not familiar with it, as it is an important topic to understand with any type of memory investigation.

That is a pragamatic answer to your question.

Vitor asks some good questions on why you need to research this in the first place.
samsansam
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor & tczielke
We are planing to add more Queue Managers and creating more objects. I want to know if there will be a different of memory usage.

We have 8 GB memory , and we have hard limit up to 4 gb. I would like to know how much MQ is using out of this 8 gb memory.

I did found commands to display how much the process is eating of the memory for both virtual and physical. But not that what I was looking for, I need to know out of this 8gb we have , how much MQ is using.
Maybe the way I asked the question was confusing or I am misunderstanding the whole MQ memory thing. I wrote my question here to understand and correct my understanding.

As far as MQ tools, I will have to go through a lot of process before to be able to install any MQ tools ( company rule ), I already requested to use MQ tools, but meanwhile I need to know if there is a command can give me what am looking for.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Bad way of looking at it. The use of mqm memory would be variable in any way you look at it because it will depend on MQ activity, number of channels etc...

Why don't you check the actual memory usage of the box (all processes not just mq) and determine how close you are to max and how much more is going to be used once you put the next qmgr on the box and have it run...
tczielke
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Hi samsansam,

Do you have Unix capacity planning team that you can work with to do this type of investigation? This type of analysis can get complicated, and does require a good understanding of the operating system. We rely on our Unix capacity planning team for this type of work.

One note on the rss attribute (physical memory) from the ps command:

rss The resident set size of the process, in
kilobytes. The rss value reported by ps
is an estimate provided by proc(4) that
may underestimate the actual resident
set size. Users who wish to get more
accurate usage information for capacity
planning should use pmap(1) -x instead.
Andyh
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

It's very difficult to predict or measure the actual MQ memory use. Virtual memory use doesn't tend to be very interesting, and it's quite difficult to get a reliable picture of real memory use.

You have to be very careful in adding up the virtual and/or real memory across processes, as shared memory (including shared libraries) would be accounted for multiple times.

Furthermore, the OS typically won't reclaim virtual memory from processes until there's a shortage of real memory, and so measuring the necessary real memory usage is very difficult until you've reached the point where there is a shortage of real memory.

The MQ performance reports do include some information on MQ real memory usage, and this data is typically collected by measuring how many MQ objects (typically clients and queues) can be created with varying real memory configurations on the same machine, and then using this data to extrapolate the real memory utilization per MQ object.

I'd speculate that memory is generally (
relatively )cheap enough these days that most installations start of with a generous estimate and then monitor the system for signs of performance problems caused by paging, rather than a particularly scientific analysis of the likely memory utilization.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Memory
Jump to: