ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Recommended step to replace servers with repository Qmgr

Recommended step to replace servers with repository Qmgr « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Recommended step to replace servers with repository Qmgr Reply with quote

Knight

We have to replace the Linux servers hosting the secondary repository Qmgrs of a large MQ cluster. I am looking for some advise on how to do and test the change. We need to do this with no interruption (transparent to user).

We have a primary repository Qmgr (QM1) on Server 1 (srv1) and a secondary repository Qmgr (QM2) on Server 2 (srv2) . Srv2 wil be replaced by srv 3 with QM3 on it

Here is my plan
Scenario 1
Assume that all the cluster sender channel from each member QMgr is targeted to QM1 (i.e no channel definition change required after QM2 is removed).
1. Install QM3 on srv 3
2. Add QM3 to the existing cluster and make it the repository Qmgr
3. Change QM2 from full repository Qmgr to partial repository (i.e. just regular member of the cluster)
4. Remove QM2 from the cluster.

Scenario 2
Some member has cluster sender channel pointing to QM2
1. Install QM3 on srv 3
2. Add QM3 to the existing cluster and make it the repository Qmgr
3. On Qmgrs that has cluster sender to QM2, add cluster sender to QM3
4. Stop and delete the cluster sender to QM2 on these Qmgrs
5. Change QM2 from full repository Qmgr to partial repository (i.e. just regular member of the cluster)
6 Remove QM2 from the cluster.

We will ensure that there is no change to the cluster during this change.

Please comments if you see any missing or wrong steps

My questions are
1. How soon the cluster information are synchronized between the 2 repository Qmgrs. I do not want to remove QM2 as a repository before I know that QM3 has the same information as QM2. Is there any command that can force the synchronization quicker than any internal timer ?
2. What is the recommended way to test if this change is completed successfully ?

Since I am not touching the primary repository Qmgr, I think I am quite safe.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendated step to replace servers with repository Qm Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

KIT_INC wrote:

Since I am not touching the primary repository Qmgr, I think I am quite safe.

Strange thinking. How can you make QM3 a full repository without touching QM1? You'd need at least a cluster sender from QM1 to QM3...
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
Strange thinking. How can you make QM3 a full repository without touching QM1

What I mean is I am safe because QM1 is the primary repository QMgr and should hold the master copy of the cluster information and since I am not removing it, then at least I should not loose any cluster information that already exist before the change. In my step of adding QM3 to cluster, of course I need to do the necessary commands as documemted in the info center.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

This important point being clarified, I'd say looking good. Although depending on the time it takes you to create the cluster sender to QM3 and delete it from QM2 you might consider having briefly 3 FRs in the cluster.

As for your questions:... It depends. It depends on the health of the communications in the cluster, it also depends on the need of the PR to access the FR.

Ideally you should be able to test this in a User Acceptance environment and extrapolate as to the production environment.

Have fun
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
I'd say looking good

Thanks fjb_saper. This makes me feel more comfortable. Yes, I did plan to have 3 FR for may be a few hours unless someone can tell me that I can force a synchronization and a way to confirm that QM3 has all the cluster info as in QM2 before I remove QM2. I was just hoping that a few hours or longer will for sure be longer than the internal cluster synchronization timer. Of course with no new cluster activities during that time by telling the cluster users not to add or change any MQ objects.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Before you promote QM3 to be an FR, ensure you have created explicit cluster sender channels at each actual/planned FR to the other FRs. That is six (two at each FR). This is because an FR will only forward information to other FRs to which it has an explicit cluster sender channel.

On the decommissioning, remove the cluster attribute before stopping the channel (so it can leave the cluster). First the receiver then the sender.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Thanks for all the helps. This will take place in end of the month. Will update again to confirm if the steps are correct.
fatherjack
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

There's a whole bunch of stuff in the documentation about removing queue managers from clusters. Don't miss out any steps or you could get in a mess.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.doc%2Fqc10380_.htm

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Recommended step to replace servers with repository Qmgr
Jump to: