ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » A web based MQ Explorer

A web based MQ Explorer « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I am still hopefully that IBM will allow me to continue to enhance and support MO71, I think it is in everyone's interests. Unfortunately the wheels in IBM can sometimes turn very slowly.

Cheers,
Paul.
abhijit_mishra
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Paul,

Welcome to this discussion. I would wait for your valuable feedback on this java based tool. Others have already contributed a lot with their feedbacks which I'm seriously looking into.

Any comments from you too will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Abhijit
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

I would be glad to give you my thoughts however I don't think my opinion is worth as much as many who have already spoken. The thing is I don't really live in the 'real' world. I have never had to actually manage an MQ Queue Manager farm I just play in my sandpit writing the odd tool and hope it is useful. The people out there who actually keep all this stuff up and running have the hard jobs and they are the ones who should be guiding you most.

However, I will say that I think Web Admin is a very useful concept. Even read-only it is very handy to be able to quickly check on the state of things from your smart phone. That's why I added it to MO71 and I believe it has been well received. You are right that for some the necessity of having to set up client links to your MQ servers may not be ideal however for others it is easier since the infrastructure is already there. However, I think your approach does have merit and it has the potential to allow you to do things I can't in MO71. For example, display the MQ.INI file or start a Queue Manager (if you ever went non-read only of course).

I think the key thing about writing tools is to remember that you'll never please everybody. In fact, there are times when you feel as though you're not pleasing anybody. I think people are naturally inclined to tell you what is wrong, rather than what is right. One could argue that this is more useful for you, the writer, but it can wear you down over time unless you have a fairly thick skin. However if, like me, you have a love of writing tools then I would say put it up and let people download and play with it. It doesn't need to be perfect first time.

Cheers,
Paul
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PaulClarke wrote:
I think people are naturally inclined to tell you what is wrong, rather than what is right. One could argue that this is more useful for you, the writer, but it can wear you down over time unless you have a fairly thick skin. However if, like me, you have a love of writing tools then I would say put it up and let people download and play with it. It doesn't need to be perfect first time.

I agree.

Sometimes silence is the best indication of success.

Although an accurate count of downloads is definitely useful to measure that silence...
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Ha! That is true. If people aren't complaining they are generally happy

I agree about keeping the stats though. I am monitoring how many people are downloading my new MQSCX program however I am only getting comments from about 5% of them.

Cheers,
Paul
colbype
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: I/5 Reply with quote

Novice

Since this is Java base please look into the I/5 code which other then where Java is installed should not be much of a stretch for you to get to. It is always the forgotten platform even by IBM who owns it.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

PaulClarke wrote:
Ha! That is true. If people aren't complaining they are generally happy

I agree about keeping the stats though. I am monitoring how many people are downloading my new MQSCX program however I am only getting comments from about 5% of them.

Cheers,
Paul

I've downloaded it but as yet I have not had time to test it out. The 'Real World' seems to get in the way of doing interesting stuff! Sadly the requirements of that 'real world' is going to stop me from trying it out for a couple of weeks.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
4integration
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

I think this is really interesting; especially if/when you make it available as open source so it's possible to test/use it and possible to contribute
pasha.mq
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abhijit,
I stumbled on this post while looking for a web based mq browse tool.
This is fantastic stuff, something i have been looking for almost a year.
All the features you have stated are the exact requirements I had in a web based tool and my target end users were Application programmers and testers who needed to know when a message was posted, transmitted and received including when it was put/get.
If you can share your tool with sourcecode, I can test it and provide feedback. You should definitely submit it as a supportpack and invite feedback. I know IBM has released a web-based monitoring tool but it does not support version < 7.1
Thanks and good job again.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » A web based MQ Explorer
Jump to: