ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Queue Remote Monitoring

MQ Queue Remote Monitoring « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQ_Lover
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: MQ Queue Remote Monitoring Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi All,

I have a requirement where by need to monitor the remote MQ Queue Managers currently 20 in number on windows for their Queue depths and Queue Manager ruuning status, could you advise how I could achieve that please, without any monitoring tool, I think a way to achive would be writing a basic script with commands to fetch the Queue Manager running status and query the queue for curdepth, the only issue is how do I setup/run these scripts/bat files remotely from a non-mq installed server against all these remote Queue Managers on different servers, is their a piece of Java code or something which anyone is aware of and could share please.

Thanks.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Queue Remote Monitoring Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQ_Lover wrote:
without any monitoring tool

So why are you reinventing the wheel?

MQ_Lover wrote:
the only issue is how do I setup/run these scripts/bat files remotely from a non-mq installed server against all these remote Queue Managers on different servers

You only need a client install.

Bear in mind how many compainies make money selling this sort of solution, then think about the hidden complexities of your task & the TCO of your solution per pro a purchased monitoring tool (of which I bet your site already has at least one, and which probably has access to the faciltities you're planning to write)
MQ_Lover
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Vitor -
Quote:
So why are you reinventing the wheel?

because the application team don't want to use any tool they have a nice GUI which they like a lot and wants to keep using it rather than any tool.

Quote:

I have the client installed but how do I get the details like channel status, Queue Manager status, Queue depth, as I don't see a binary in bin which supports that?
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You can configure support pac MO71 to do this sort of thing.

MQ client provides an API and a few simple samples - nothing more.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQ_Lover wrote:
because the application team don't want to use any tool they have a nice GUI which they like a lot and wants to keep using it rather than any tool.

So they do have a wheel, they like it a lot and want to keep using it. Reasonable.

MQ_Lover wrote:
Quote:

I have the client installed but how do I get the details like channel status, Queue Manager status, Queue depth, as I don't see a binary in bin which supports that?

The same way you'd do it with a full install - by issuing the relevant commands (remembering that the commands can be issued programatically). That's all the MQExplorer does - there's no binary in the full install which gives you channel status or queue depth. Only commands.
MQ_Lover
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Vitor - Thanks for that is a there a document or code I could use for that as I have not done much of coding since sometime.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQ_Lover wrote:
Thanks for that is a there a document or code I could use for that

Start here
MQ_Lover
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Great thanks Vitor - Looks like I would be refreshing my programming skills after long time.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Why would you code when you can use a tool already written?

What exactly is your requirement?

Interactive GUI?

Background monitoring with alerting (what sort)?

Given the internal charge back rates at most companies it's not worth re-inventing the wheel.

Get hold of MO71 and read the manual.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQ_Lover wrote:
Looks like I would be refreshing my programming skills after long time.

Or looking at the wheel your users have already have, and enabling the WMQ monitoring capability it most likely has.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

MQ_Lover wrote:

just curious now... what is the magic tool with the nice GUI that they like a lot?

MQSystems Facebook page
harry potter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ Queue Remote Monitoring Reply with quote

MQ_Lover wrote:
Hi All,

I have a requirement where by need to monitor the remote MQ Queue Managers currently 20 in number on windows for their Queue depths and Queue Manager ruuning status, could you advise how I could achieve that please, without any monitoring tool, I think a way to achive would be writing a basic script with commands to fetch the Queue Manager running status and query the queue for curdepth, the only issue is how do I setup/run these scripts/bat files remotely from a non-mq installed server against all these remote Queue Managers on different servers, is their a piece of Java code or something which anyone is aware of and could share please.

Thanks.

Assume you're on a linux host (hostA) running a script to monitor the MQ qdepth on another linux host (hostB).
You could run something like this.

hostA # ssh mqm@hostB 'echo display ql\(qname\) curdepth | /path/to/runmqsc QManager'

One you make it works, you could add more stuff to your script from hostA to do more stuff, such as (1) doing ssh, (2) run runmqsc to display qlocal amd/or channel details, (3) parse the output from (2) via awk to summarize the qdepth and/or channel status, etc.

Hope this helps.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Queue Remote Monitoring
Jump to: