ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve?

What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
krishna1228
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve? Reply with quote

Novice

What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve through a java client that accessing a queue present in a remote queue manager

persistent messages of 4 kb length

Please share your experiments that you may done in past

Thanks in advance..
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Any experiments that I have done in the past will be pretty much irrelevant to your situation. There are any number of factors that will influence the outcome, for example (but not limited to):

* Network bandwidth, contention, and throttling
* Server resources (RAM, CPU, Storage)
* Message persistency
* Coding of the client
* Number of client instances

There are many other considerations...
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

There are client performance options such as Read Ahead available in the API. Also the use of syncpointing may have an effect.

But as Exert says - many variable factors can play a part - and the queue manager options can also be tuned in various ways.

In tests over the years, I have found that MQ adds little delay over and above the network latency. The effect of the latency can be mitigated to some extent with various techniques.

When network latency is not the limiting factor - probably disk i/o speed will be if messages are persistent.

Experiment and find out.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The number one thing you can do for "MQ performance" is to make sure you don't connect and disconnect to the queue manager for each message. And that you don't open and close the queue for each message. Connect and open once, then loop on your messages till done.

The number two thing you can do is make the messages non persistent if business requirements allow it.

There are dozens of things you can do after that, but I think the realized benefits from them are all minor compared to the impact realized from properly handling the first 2 points.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There's a reasonably large, and counterintuitive, performance gain in using syncpoint for persistent messages instead of NOT using syncpoint for persistent messages.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achiev Reply with quote

Poobah

krishna1228 wrote:
What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve through a java client that accessing a queue present in a remote queue manager?

It depends.

Is the remote queue manager on the same physical box (in the same LPAR)? In the same box, but a different LPAR?

Is the qmgr on a box physically distant? How far? What kind of network?

What else is the java app doing besides consuming messages? DB updates?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You might want to search google for 'mq+java+dequeue'.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
There's a reasonably large, and counterintuitive, performance gain in using syncpoint for persistent messages instead of NOT using syncpoint for persistent messages.

Jeff,
Even for single puts? Or only when dealing with multiple messages that can be grouped into a single Unit Of Work?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Jeff,
Even for single puts? Or only when dealing with multiple messages that can be grouped into a single Unit Of Work?

Never checked it for puts. Do all my operations under syncpoint. But definitely for gets.
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achiev Reply with quote

Padawan

krishna1228 wrote:
What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve ....

did you already check those "performance white papers" on the supportpac site ?!?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PeterPotkay wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Jeff,

Yes, I believe even for a single put.

Although if you're doing performance testing for an application that only ever puts a single message during it's application lifetime, then I suspect that the performance of MQ is not what you're interested in.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achiev Reply with quote

Jedi

krishna1228 wrote:
What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve through a java client that accessing a queue present in a remote queue manager

I think the constraints will be "Java" (limited by JVM performance) and "Client" (limited by TCP network performance and MQ Client synchronous protocol), not the MQ queue manager on the remote server.
Read-ahead in MQ Client in v7.0+ gives a big performance boost if your design and message type fits this feature.

If you are worried about high volume performance, don't use Java
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Just receiving the message in JMS, and not accessing the contents, with a commit every 1000 messages, I have achieved impressive rates, (better than the clear queue with destructive get from the MQExplorer from my desktop, but then I ran the JMS stand alone pgm from the same network segment the qmgr was on... not from my desktop.... like hitting up to 2,000 messages per second... (logged time before and after and number of messages dequeued...)

Now if you access the message payload / content, you will take a considerable performance hit compared to the above numbers... after all you are doing a lot more work...

MDBs in WAS when configured correctly should easily get you up to 100 tps on small messages and that is with reading the message content and processing it (with a reasonably small processing time <100 ms?)

You did not say what you were attempting to do... nor what your purpose was... so remember your mileage will vary, depending on a lot of outside factors that you have no to little control over...

Have fun

Have fun
krishna1228
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Grand,

thanks for sharing your experiance..

In our project we are reading the messages from the queue and we need to persist it in hadoop and hbase. main intension is to clear the queue ASAP. currently we are getting 1600-2000 msgs/min but expectation is 1,00,000 msgs/min as some of experts suggested that we need to increase the log buffer pages to 4096 but i.e not possible because we dont have access to queue manager properties as it residing in remote machine
i am commting the 100 msgs at one time i tried with 1000 as well but there is no improvement in performance and one more thing iam commiting these messages under sync point with out sync point iam getting double the performance but as my messages are critical transactions i cant do that.
i have follwing parameters to connenct to the remote queue manager
host name,queue manager name,port number,channel name..

using a java client program i am connecting to remote queue manager and reading the messages so plz suggest me the ways that i can able to do from my side to increase the performance

Thanks in advance...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

krishna1228 wrote:
as some of experts suggested that we need to increase the log buffer pages to 4096 but i.e not possible because we dont have access to queue manager properties as it residing in remote machine

Yes you should do that.

You'll probably find this article interesting:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0712_dunn/0712_dunn.html

I doubt you will get 500 times the throughput you have now by changing anything on the queue manager.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » What will be the highest dequeue rate that we can achieve?
Jump to: