ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Workflow Engines - IBM MQ Workflow & Business Process Choreographer » BPM 7.5 and Lombardi: Any activity in the forum

BPM 7.5 and Lombardi: Any activity in the forum « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vennela
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: BPM 7.5 and Lombardi: Any activity in the forum Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi fellow workflow forum members

Wanted to see if any of you have graduated to Lombardi/BPM 7.5

I am sure quite a few of you must have

I am interested in knowing if any workflow customers looking at BPM instead of WPS
Also, any WPS customers looking at BPM
jmac
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Vennela:

I have spent the better part of this year on WLE. I did most of my work on V7.2 so WLE not BPM, but the engines are supposedly identical.

If you do not need the sophfistication (and thereby extra complexity) of WPS then using WLE is a good fit.

This is simply MY opinion:

There are some things I really like about the product, and others that I find come up a bit short. All in all, I would say you are not going to find many who are currently using the BPC engine of WPS switching to use the "Standard" edition of BPM 7.5 or WLE, but I believe the product to be a good fit for someone looking to move from MQWF. Also, having always thought that WPS added WAY to much complexity over MQWF I find the WLE approach to be interesting, especially the concept of "playback" and getting the business user involved extremely early. As a long time IBM workflow guy I think the key to success is ensuring the solution meets the business needs, and getting the business involved very early is a huge plus.

Hope all is going well for you

JMAC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vennela
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi John:

Nice to hear back from you and all is going well with me. I am nearing my ten years at the forum, so hopefully I'll get a 10 year badge from the forum.

Anyway, yes WLE is very nice. I agree with you on the complexity of WPS. Moreover, it is more of an integration tool than a workflow tool. I think IBM jumped onto the BPEL bandwagon too early. I remember you said this three four years back but I definitely see it now.

WLE and BPM are almost similar, atleast 95% of it, especially the 7.5.0.1.
7.5.1 might be little different
BPM seems to be bent more towards meeting workflow needs rather than integration needs. I would definitely see this product kicking off in the next two years, unless IBM kills it like how it did with ICS after buying it from CrossWorlds.
Ofcourse IBM was more interested in the Crosswrolds adapters rather than the server.

The repository of BPM, the design etc is more along the lines of MQ Workflow. Pulling Org structure from LDAP is made lot easier, because we can configure WAS LDAP security with federated repositores and that takes care of that part. Workflow was lacking that piece.

Anyway, hope to get answers from you on BPM and I'll try my best to contribute to the forum too.
jmac
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Vennela:

The forum with all the action for what used to be called WLE (Lombardi) is the IBM Business Process Manager forum https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=2382. I believe yours may have been the first post on this forum that referenced WLE

I have been active on that forum, but not to the extent I was on MQWF, because my expertise is still not there with the new product. I am still mostly a question asker.

Anyway, great to hear from you, and best wishes for the New Year

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Migration from MQ Workflow FDL's to WLE design Articrafts Reply with quote

Hi Anybody would help me out plz..

Actual requirment.
My system ( in prod ) is running with the App MQ Workflow 3.6 , I was asked to come with solution for migrating the WF stufs (The Actual Workflow ) to BPM .

I had some experience in build time designs of (MQ WF 3.6) and deployement of these designs to run time and so on..

My concerns lies here..
1) How can I migrate my Workflow activities to BPM activites
(In terms of conversion of Input data structure (input schema ) , out put data struct(Out put schema) , Routing the data flow , Data mapping from one activity to other (drag and drop variables mapping " from ---> to ..etc..
So If I draw and design in BPM process designer ...what all variables should be given for a particular activity in BPM to a corresponding input struct.. in MQ WF..etc..
Where I can see a detailed info on this

Can somebody heads up on me plz....
jmac
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Unfortunately there is no automated way to convert. You will need to recreate the model in Process Designer, by copying the Buildtime model.

As far as the data goes... if your current process uses the "kitchen sink" method of having one large data structure that is input and output to every structure, you can simply use the same structure in the BPMN diagram. I am not saying I would recommend this, but it would work.

The biggest difference you will find is in the implementation of your services, the Human Services will now become NG Coaches in the BPMN process, and any UPES services you have will need to be updated to be callable from the BPMN Engine.

Good Luck
swift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for your heads up.

I could redraw all the MQ designs manually to BPM designs or is there any utility that will convert the FDL files to BPM designs files .

if yes, Does the converted file can be simply imported to BPM ??.As well does all the server definitions, Data structure would be auto coverted to some format ??

if I'm redrawing the activity manually , then how the input structure can be defined manually for each activity . We have different different schemas for different WF prcoess activity.
As well how the variables(on what basis) be defined for each activity , is it the same variables be defined manually as per the Data structure..??
jmac
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

You will have to do this by hand.

As to the data, I would have a look and create the complex structures that make sense based on your current services. Data defined at the process level is potentially accessible to every activity.

The concept of the UPES does not exist. You will need to define Integration Services (if using IBPM Advanced, maybe Advanced Integration Services) to replace the current UPES activities.
swift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

Will get back to you shortly.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Workflow Engines - IBM MQ Workflow & Business Process Choreographer » BPM 7.5 and Lombardi: Any activity in the forum
Jump to: