ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Database Input Node

Database Input Node « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
why
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Database Input Node Reply with quote

Novice

Version: MB 8

Fix pack 2.

Code:

Version: 8.0.0.2
Build id: 8.0.0.2-20130322-1723

The properties i have selected at flow level are not reflecting in Bar file config properties. Say i have selected Retry mechanism to Short interval which will disable long retry interval property on node. Later built a bar file newly on this flow and the bar file config properties on database input node still shows Long interval property and with default value. Happened the same while i selected Retry mechanism to Failure which will disable other properties at node but bar file built on it still showing the properties which are disabled.

Here comes my second question, the Retry Threshold property on Database input node, my understanding the flow will retry the many times the value we set in this filed if it errors out while processing in the flow. We have set the Retry threshold to 2(also tried with other values 0 and 3), but on debugging i have seen the flow handling the event only once and on error it terminates (we are doing error handling at catch and failure nodes) . Kindly please let me know how this property works and if my understanding is correct the flow should repeat on the value set on Retry threshold and its not happening.

Appreciate your response.

Last edited by why on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Database Input Node Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

why wrote:
Version: MB 8 Fix pack 2.

Does this mean 8.0.0.2 or 8.0.0.0 ifix 2 ?

Version numbers have four digits. Be specific.

What is your effective level? Use mqisreportbroker to find out. Effective level is not the same as a version number.
why
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Database Input Node Reply with quote

Novice

lancelotlinc wrote:
why wrote:
Version: MB 8 Fix pack 2.

Does this mean 8.0.0.2 or 8.0.0.0 ifix 2 ?

Version numbers have four digits. Be specific.

What is your effective level? Use mqisreportbroker to find out. Effective level is not the same as a version number.

Sorry i dont have access to broker. This i can get from toolkit.

Version: 8.0.0.2
Build id: 8.0.0.2-20130322-1723
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Please run and post:

Code:
>mqsireadbar -r -b <barname> > bar.txt

why
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

@lancelotlinc , i will post the bar file command result shortly. Can you please help me with Retry Threshold property of Database Input node. Thanks.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Retry threshold is the number of times to try the flow transaction again when the Retry mechanism property value is Short retry or Short and long retry.

Let say for example your database trigger criteria fires up your DatabaseInput node. If, during processing, your flow throws an error. What do you want the database input node to do? Do you want it to retry? If so, how many times?
why
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

lancelotlinc wrote:
Retry threshold is the number of times to try the flow transaction again when the Retry mechanism property value is Short retry or Short and long retry.

Let say for example your database trigger criteria fires up your DatabaseInput node. If, during processing, your flow throws an error. What do you want the database input node to do? Do you want it to retry? If so, how many times?

Thanks lancelotlinc, yes i also got the same feeling but it was not happening. Say there is a Database Input node and following a compute node ... and error handling at catch terminal. To generate an error scenario i kept the DSN wrong in compute node. The flow behaving like this no matter what property i have set for retry threshold observed from debugger. The flow picks up the database event, errors at compute node comes to input node and goes to catch terminal and terminates the flow and handles other event.

From what i read , if i have kept the Retry threshold to more than 1 the flow should repeat that many times when error and terminate after that many attempts. But i dont see this happening.

Kindly please feel free to correct me, and honestly appreciate your response.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

At the end of your catch logic, you need a throw. Either a node or THROW keyword in your Compute node.

If your catch logic does not notify the input node that there is still a problem, the input node thinks the issue was resolved and does not retry.
why
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

lancelotlinc wrote:
At the end of your catch logic, you need a throw. Either a node or THROW keyword in your Compute node.

If your catch logic does not notify the input node that there is still a problem, the input node thinks the issue was resolved and does not retry.

Yes we have throw at catch terminal that brings the control back to db input node, and this scenario the flow is keep on looping for single event and when error flow is in hang state and every time we are restarting the flow. simple fix added Failure count >0 retrun false at compute node for catch terminal allowing the flow not to loop.

So basically you are saying with out trow is must for Retry threshold property, which i havent seen in info center. Again please feel free to correct me and appreciate your response.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

You might like to try the database input sample:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v8r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.samples.dbinputnode.doc%2Fdoc%2Foverview.htm

The sample has discussions on error processing.

No matter which direction you go, you need to write the functionality that works for your business requirement. That precludes any other way of doing anything. Make the error handler meet the business requirement. To do that you need to know the business requirement. What is the business requirement?
why
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Interestingly i am not able to find the sample from my tool kit samples, any tweaks to get that imported to my local, i am using same version. Thanks.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Help -> Search -> type "databaseinput sample" -> see results populated in "Local Help"
why
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

lancelotlinc wrote:
Help -> Search -> type "databaseinput sample" -> see results populated in "Local Help"

Thank you very much, will try and get back to you.
mqceries
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

seems very nice thread,but stopped with out any updates/resolution. We are still in v7, will try to download 8 and check this..seems interesting. Does propogating a property wont work in 8

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Database Input Node
Jump to: