ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » iSeries MQ Alert Monitor

iSeries MQ Alert Monitor « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rob
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: iSeries MQ Alert Monitor Reply with quote

Hi,

One of our client has requested if there is a way to check the number of channels running and send an alert if it has reached 75% or more.

I had a quick look and it looks like i have to create a service and that service would run a process.

I am guessing that process is a program, is there any programs available to do that, this is for an iseries MQ version 6. In case there is none, could you provide samples, I am not sure what kind of compiler are available on the iseries machine but definetly it could compile a CL program.

I hope you could also specify the steps needed since i just started supporting MQ. Thanks. Rob.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The first question is why do they need to know when the number of channels running has reached 75%?

The next question is 75% of what? MaxChannels or MaxActiveChannels as defined in the qm.ini? 75% of the defined SDR or RCVR channels?

As you are likely to find out as you progress through your career in WMQ, you'll often be asked to provide solutions to problems that do not exist, except in the minds of developers/testers, or to provide irrelevant or nonsensical information - push back now and try to establish a boundary of what you can/will provide, that is useful to the party requesting it, and that will not eat into the valuable time for getting down and dirty with the product.

And finally, if you've just started supporting this, and it's all new to you, definitely push your management to provide training.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

They likely want to know when they have hit 75% of Max Active channels. Its not an unreasonable request. Especially if they are dealing with poorly coded MQ Client apps that don't disconnect cleanly, poorly coded apps that take way to many client connections, and they have not implemented measures on the Queue Manager side to help clean up orphaned client connections or restrict runaway apps from taking as many connections as they want.

Your company's monitoring solution likely has MQ monitoring capability. And it likely can be configured to alert you for this condition.

Upgrade off of MQ 6, its out of support.
Attack the root problem while you also monitor for the resultant symptoms.
rob
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: iSeries MQ Monitor Alert Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks tou your reply Exerc and Peter. Yes it is for Maximum Active Channels. They wanted to send an alert if it has reached 75% or more maximum active channel. The maximum channel is 200. I did ask from the system administrators if they know of any monitoring jobs in the iseries but unfortunately they don't. I think they have one for one of thier mainframe that sends an alert if mq is not running but I dont know about mainframes. I don't think there is any monitoring jobs running on thier iseries.

They need an alert if it reaches 75% maximum active channels to check what applications are running, i guess what Peter has commented i guess they wanted to check if thier application is causing it.

Going back to my question, is there any utility that can be run on the iseries to do this than starting from scratch. If there is none, could you provide some site or samples i could look at.

In terms of training, unfortunately there is none aside from the book about MQ.

Again thanks and appreciate your reply.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: iSeries MQ Monitor Alert Reply with quote

Poobah

rob wrote:

Going back to my question, is there any utility that can be run on the iseries to do this than starting from scratch. If there is none, could you provide some site or samples i could look at.

PeterPotkay wrote:

Your company's monitoring solution likely has MQ monitoring capability. And it likely can be configured to alert you for this condition.

colbype
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Exit Reply with quote

Novice

Rob,

While not exactly what you want you should use BlockIP exit on your client channels for I/5 in order to limit the applications on the number of channels they can open.

Other then that you can either do it via CL programs or qsh on using runmqsc to possibly get the channel status of each channel and then do a count of how many are active. You can pass in the max channel since it is static unless you change it in order to close the loop.

Can you tell me what software you use to monitor your I/5 systems. They may already have MQ monitoring support built in that may make it a little easier for you.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » iSeries MQ Alert Monitor
Jump to: