ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » CHLAUTH - Can they be used on CLUSRCVR in a mixed cluster

CHLAUTH - Can they be used on CLUSRCVR in a mixed cluster « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: CHLAUTH - Can they be used on CLUSRCVR in a mixed cluster Reply with quote

Poobah

If a MQ 7.5 Queue Manager wants to use CHLAUTH records for its Cluster Receiver, but there are some MQ 7.0.1 QMs in the cluster, is it OK?

I think so, but wanted to double check with y’all.

It’s the cluster receiver channel definition that is used as a template for creating the automatic cluster sender channel, and the channels themselves don’t know anything about CHLAUTH records, so we should be fine, yes? The 7.0.1 Queue Manager will not have to deal with anything it can’t handle when connecting to a 7.5 clustered queue manager, no matter how many CHLAUTH records that 7.5 QM has. It may be blocked by those CHLAUTH rules, understood. But if the rules specifically allow this QM it will be able to connect even though its running at a version that does not know about CHLAUTH?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Fastest way... try it out and report back. Theory seems right... practice will tell!
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

• I don't believe CHLAUTH records are shareable in the cluster, since they're "rules" and not "objects". This is also why you have to do horrendous things like "SET CHLAUTH ACTION(REPLACE)" instead of being able to sensibly ALTER them.
  • Even if they were shareable in the cluster, they are only enforced on the qmgr they are defined on.
  • If they were shareable in the cluster, that would make MQ into a distributed global security provider, which I suspect that nobody wants MQ to become, especially Hursley.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I don't think Peter was thinking along those lines.
I understood his request as pertaining uniquely to the FR cluster receiver channels so as to avoid having a rogue qmgr join the cluster.

mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
I don't think Peter was thinking along those lines.
I understood his request as pertaining uniquely to the FR cluster receiver channels so as to avoid having a rogue qmgr join the cluster.

I think Peter was explicitly asking if the CHLAUTH rules defined on a 7.5 qmgr were enforced on a 7.0.1 qmgr.

The only way they could be made visible to a 7.0.1 qmgr is if they were shareable in a cluster, which they're not.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

I think Peter was explicitly asking if the CHLAUTH rules defined on a 7.5 qmgr were enforced on a 7.0.1 qmgr.

The only way they could be made visible to a 7.0.1 qmgr is if they were shareable in a cluster, which they're not.

Enforced on -- I don't think so and Peter is clear about that.
Enforced against (set up on the 7.5 side and preventing the 7.0.1 to attach) is what I believe Perter was looking for.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I still disagree.

I will await Peter's clarification.

Again, CHLAUTH rules are only applied or valid or meaningful or defined or exist or otherwise etc. etc. etc. on the queue manager that they are actually SET on.

A 7.0.1 qmgr will never know anything about any CHLAUTH rules. Any connections it makes may be modified, filtered, or denied because of CHLAUTH rules on the remote end, but the 7.0.1 qmgr will never know that it is because of a CHLAUTH rule. It will only know that it can't connect.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
A 7.0.1 qmgr will never know anything about any CHLAUTH rules. Any connections it makes may be modified, filtered, or denied because of CHLAUTH rules on the remote end, but the 7.0.1 qmgr will never know that it is because of a CHLAUTH rule. It will only know that it can't connect.

This is what I was thinking.

I was wondering if a 7.5 QM on Server 1 had a very restrictive CHLAUTH rule against its CLUSRCVR channel that would block the wrong connections but was meant to allow a legitimate QM2 on Server2 to connect it, would the connection succeed if Server2 was at MQ 7.0.1? Or would the connection fail simply because CHLAUTH was executing even though the connection was meant to succeed.

It looks like a CHLAUTH rule defined on QM1 would only execute on QM1, and the rejection / aceptance of that connection would be determined on QM1. Nothing in the automatic cluster sender channel on QM2 / Server 2 would know about the CHLAUTH rule(s) on QM1 / Server1, so there should be no issue with QM2 / Server 2 running on MQ 7.0.1. The connection from the 7.0.1 QM will be accepted / rejected on the QM2 / Server 2 side based on the CHLAUTH rules. In other words, it shouldn't matter what MQ version the incoming client or incoming QM connection is when it comes to CHLAUTH.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PeterPotkay wrote:
I was wondering if a 7.5 QM on Server 1 had a very restrictive CHLAUTH rule against its CLUSRCVR channel that would block the wrong connections but was meant to allow a legitimate QM2 on Server2 to connect it, would the connection succeed if Server2 was at MQ 7.0.1? Or would the connection fail simply because CHLAUTH was executing even though the connection was meant to succeed.

Again, CHLAUTH rules are only applied at the queue manager that has defined them. I don't believe you can set up a CHLAUTH rule that knows what version of MQ the remote side is, although presumably one could fake it with SSLPEER and properly scoped DNs.

PeterPotkay wrote:
It looks like a CHLAUTH rule defined on QM1 would only execute on QM1, and the rejection / aceptance of that connection would be determined on QM1. Nothing in the automatic cluster sender channel on QM2 / Server 2 would know about the CHLAUTH rule(s) on QM1 / Server1, so there should be no issue with QM2 / Server 2 running on MQ 7.0.1. The connection from the 7.0.1 QM will be accepted / rejected on the QM2 / Server 2 side based on the CHLAUTH rules. In other words, it shouldn't matter what MQ version the incoming client or incoming QM connection is when it comes to CHLAUTH.

Yes, exactly.
The CHLAUTH rule is only visible on the QM that defines it, and only executes against the information that is available on that side of the network connection. This may have something to do with Roger's assertions that they only "filter" and don't authorize or authenticate. But I'll leave that discussion for he and T-Rob to have or not have.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » CHLAUTH - Can they be used on CLUSRCVR in a mixed cluster
Jump to: