ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ Authorization and Unix Groups

MQ Authorization and Unix Groups « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: MQ Authorization and Unix Groups Reply with quote

Acolyte

As I explained in another message, I am a little confused about how MQ authorization works w.r.t. UNIX groups.

All the documentation for UNIX systems emphasizes the primary group. That makes sense when granting authorization.

But what about when authorization is checked? Is just the principal's primary group considered or all its group memberships?

I kind of assumed that (following the UNIX model) all the principal's groups are checked and various things I have read (including the posts in the thread I have referenced above) suggest that this is correct, even though it is never spelled out in black and white.

But an experiment suggest that it is the primary group that matters and other group memberships are not taken into account. Consider this queue and the access that group infosys has:
Code:
dspmqaut -m PARDOEJ2 -t queue -n AUTH.TEST.1 -g infosys
Entity infosys has the following authorizations for object AUTH.TEST.1:
        get
        browse
        put
        inq
        set
        crt
        dlt
        chg
        dsp
        passid
        passall
        setid
        setall
        clr

As myself I run this and try to connect as two different users, one of which has infosys as its primary group
Code:
uid=7271(stdevad) gid=128(infosys)
and one of which doesn't:
Code:
uid=1210898(axlsvqa1) gid=1200423(axlsvqa1)

This second use is a member of infosys, as the output of the "groups" command shows
Code:
axlsvqa1 global1 infosys

So, as I understand, it both users should be able to browse my queue. Yet one can and the other can't:
Code:
Actual user running script is pardoej (uid=28936(pardoej) gid=128(infosys); groups: infosys glccusers lobamedgrp motech tecindev finsupp docadmin devadm lobamepgrp devinfra)
========================================================================
Accessing AUTH.TEST.1 as stdevad (uid=7271(stdevad) gid=128(infosys); groups: infosys global1 istest glccusers)
VERSION: MQTOOLS1.12.F; 08-Nov-2011, 15:19
CONNECT: Using channel SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN
CONNECT: MQ environment user ID set to stdevad
CONNECT: PARDOEJ2@lonux20507:1432
OPEN: AUTH.TEST.1 with {BROWSE}
BROWSE: Test message on queue AUTH.TEST.1 [pardoej@lonux10057 to pardoej2/AUTH.TEST.1 on Tue Apr 23 18:15:47 BST 2013]
========================================================================
Accessing AUTH.TEST.1 as axlsvqa1 (uid=1210898(axlsvqa1) gid=1200423(axlsvqa1); groups: axlsvqa1 global1 infosys)
VERSION: MQTOOLS1.12.F; 08-Nov-2011, 15:19
CONNECT: Using channel SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN
CONNECT: MQ environment user ID set to axlsvqa1
CONNECT: PARDOEJ2@lonux20507:1432
Exception in thread "main" mqtools.MQUtilException: MQ operation 'connect' failed; completion code: MQCC_FAILED (2); reason: MQRC_NOT_AUTHORIZED (2035)
        at mqtools.MQUtil.connect(MQUtil.java:932)

So, it looks as if only the primary group is taken into account and other group memberships are irrelevant.

Is this right? Can someone please point me to clear and explicit documentation of this fact.

Or have I done something wrong?
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Authorization and Unix Groups Reply with quote

Acolyte

mqdogsbody wrote:
Can someone please point me to clear and explicit documentation of this fact.

Reading the page I cited a bit more carefully
Principals and groups wrote:
A principal can belong to more than one group (its group set) and has the aggregate of all the authorities granted to each group in its group set.

To me that suggests the "all groups" interpretation is correct. Yet my experiment suggests that the "primary group only" interpretation is correct.

... as does this quick test:
Code:
for u in stdevad axlsvqa1; do print "User: $u; groups $(groups $u)"; dspmqaut -m PARDOEJ2 -t queue -n AUTH.TEST.1 -p $u; print "===";  done
Output:
Code:
User: stdevad; groups infosys global1 istest glccusers
Entity stdevad has the following authorizations for object AUTH.TEST.1:
        get
        browse
        put
        inq
        set
        crt
        dlt
        chg
        dsp
        passid
        passall
        setid
        setall
        clr
===
User: axlsvqa1; groups axlsvqa1 global1 infosys
Entity axlsvqa1 has the following authorizations for object AUTH.TEST.1:
===

What am I doing wrong?

dspmqver says
Code:
Name:        WebSphere MQ
Version:     6.0.2.5
CMVC level:  p600-205-080922
BuildType:   IKAP - (Production)
uname -a says
Code:
SunOS lonux20507 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Seems to be you are getting confused about setting authorizations and checking them.
Don't necessarily use dspmqaut you may not be getting what you expect.
Use instead dmpmqaut for the specific object you want to check. You will then see all the groups that have authorizations.

Remember that setmqaut will only set permissions to the primary group of the user. This is why I would really use the setting of permissions at the group level and never at the principal level. Have then the principal move in and out of groups as needed.

Remember WMQ caches the OS level info after start. So when you switch a principal from one group to the other, you may want to issue a refresh security to the qmgr afterwards... to make it aware of the switch...

Have fun
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

fjb_saper wrote:
Seems to be you are getting confused about setting authorizations and checking them.

Well, didn't I say that? I understand what happens when setting authorizations but not when checking them.

fjb_saper wrote:
Remember that setmqaut will only set permissions to the primary group of the user.

Ys, I understand that. (Did I not make it clear? I meant to.) It's what happens when authorizations are checked that I am unsure about: primary group only or all groups?

To rephrase, my questions are:

• When authorizations are checked is it only the principal's primary group that is taken into account or is it all his/her group memberships?
  • Where in the documentation is this explcitly stated?
fjb_saper wrote:
Don't necessarily use dspmqaut you may not be getting what you expect.

As I understand it, dmpmqaut shows the raw data which the OAM uses to calculate access rights, whereas dspmqaut shows the results of that calculation. It was the results I wanted here.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqdogsbody wrote:
To rephrase, my questions are:

• When authorizations are checked is it only the principal's primary group that is taken into account or is it all his/her group memberships?
  • Where in the documentation is this explcitly stated?

Does this help?

Page title is: "dspmqaut"

Text is: "If a user ID is a member of more than one group, this command displays the combined authorizations of all the groups."

URL is: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/fa15700_.htm
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mvic wrote:
Does this help?

Page title is: "dspmqaut"

Text is: "If a user ID is a member of more than one group, this command displays the combined authorizations of all the groups."

Thanks! That is a clear and explicit statement, and it fits in with what I thought I understood. But this is not the end of the story because my experiment suggest that this statement is not true!!!

In my experiment axlsvqa1 is a member of group infosys but has no access. (See the root message.) If the statement you cite were true it should have access ... I believe:
Code:
> dmpmqaut -m PARDOEJ2 -t queue -n AUTH.TEST.1
profile:     AUTH.TEST.1
object type: queue
entity:      infosys
entity type: group
authority:   allmqi dlt chg dsp clr
- - - - - - - -
profile:     AUTH.TEST.1
object type: queue
entity:      mqm
entity type: group
authority:   allmqi dlt chg dsp clr
> groups axlsvqa1
axlsvqa1 global1 infosys

Wouldn't you agree? What have I misunderstood? What am I doing wrong?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

did you refresh security or restart the qm after changing the membership of the infosys group?
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mqjeff wrote:
Did you refresh security or restart the qm after changing the membership of the infosys group?

Not explicitly, but the user account has been in that group for ages (since it was set up) and my QM is stopped automatically every Friday and I restart it as required. I am fairly confident the QM security info is up-to-date.

Anyway, I did a REFRESH SECURITY just in case and reran my test script. No change!
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Do you have LDAP, Active Directory, etc. etc. in place as your user/group system? Or is it default passwd/group implementation?

MQ clearly thinks axlsvqa1 is not a member of any group that has any authorization.
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mvic wrote:
Do you have LDAP, Active Directory, etc. etc. in place as your user/group system?

It is LDAP-based (as I understand it).

Either way, that raises some interesting questions. What difference might it make and why?
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqdogsbody wrote:
Either way, that raises some interesting questions. What difference might it make and why?

Try using basic passwd/group instead and see if it makes a difference.

(Restart your qmgr or use "REFRESH SECURITY" to purge cached info about group membership if making a change of that sort.)

MQ does not know what is being used under the covers of the OS. If it makes a difference what you use (I don't know one way or the other, in your case) then the question "why" is one for your OS support people.
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mvic wrote:

I am not sure I can do that .. unless it's a setting within MQ.

mvic wrote:
MQ does not know what is being used under the covers of the OS.

I should hope not (... which also suggests there's no "setting within MQ").

mvic wrote:
If it makes a difference what you use

Why should it make a difference? That's the kind of thing I was hoping you would tell me!! I got all excited ...

I remember running into a problem with large groups before, but I think that was a Windows-specific problem. Still this is a large group and if I run ypcat group | grep infosys I see some kind of chaining: infosys contains infosys--001 and so on.

Still, I would hope that MQ would use standard OS faculties and those facilities would "get it right". And if the facilities didn't "get it right" I imagine someone might have noticed by now. (Nonetheless I will experiment.)

mvic wrote:
the question "why" is one for your OS support people

Well, if the standard OS faculties "get it right" they'll just say"it works". It's an MQ question!
mvic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqdogsbody wrote:
mvic wrote:

I am not sure I can do that .. unless it's a setting within MQ.

No, it's a change to your OS.

Quote:
mvic wrote:
If it makes a difference what you use

Why should it make a difference? That's the kind of thing I was hoping you would tell me!! I got all excited ...

You are welcome to try the idea I suggested, or not. If you don't try it, how will you know if it helps or not. Myself, I cannot possibly know if it will help. But I have seen problems in this area before, and so I made the suggestion.

Quote:
Still, I would hope that MQ would use standard OS faculties and those facilities would "get it right". And if the facilities didn't "get it right" I imagine someone might have noticed by now. (Nonetheless I will experiment.)

Good

Quote:
mvic wrote:

Well, if the standard OS faculties "get it right" they'll just say"it works". It's an MQ question!

If it helps to use the traditional passwd/groups method, that would suggest something fairly strongly in the opposite direction.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqdogsbody wrote:
mvic wrote:

Beg to differ. WMQ relies on the underlying OS for this feature. If the underlying OS has in fact handed this off to LDAP or similar, and LDAP does not properly provide the information WMQ needs it's not an MQ question.

For the record, I tend to agree with @mvic and suspect that it's related to your LDAP configuration. I've seen this sort of thing before where WMQ (and Oracle, and DB2) all claim people are not members of groups they patently are members of, or that groups do not have rights they patently should have, and in each instance of my experience the problem has been resolved by either a change to the LDAP configuration, a change to the way LDAP is mapped to the OS security or just the LDAP server being restarted. In all instances, the sys admins are your first port of call. If only to provide a trace of what's going on in the OS when WMQ calls out for security.

Which OS is this, and what are you using for LDAP services?
mqdogsbody
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mvic wrote:
No, it's a change to your OS [...] If you don't try it, how will you know if it helps or not.

That's way beyond the kind of thing I am allowed to do. And I doubt that our Unix admin people (or our auditors) would take kindly to the suggestion that we change it, even as an experiment.

mvic wrote:
But I have seen problems in this area before

But that in itself is interesting! But I would also imagine that this would be a "well-known problem". We can't be the only people who have tried running MQ 6 on Solaris using LDAP.

And it's progress too, in the sense that I now know what should happen and that the behaviour I see is not what should happen.

mvic wrote:
mqdogsbody wrote:
mvic wrote:

If it helps to use the traditional passwd/groups method, that would suggest something fairly strongly in the opposite direction.

Well, I don't want to quibble over semantics but my view is that if the Unix-level access stuff displays the right behaviour (and it does - I did experiment) then the question "Is it an O/S problem" gets the answer "No - the O/S gets it right". If MQ doesn't get it right we have to look at MQ.

But if it is a "well-known problem" I am more interested in knowing that, and knowing what will happen with MQ7. We might get around to migrating at some point...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ Authorization and Unix Groups
Jump to: