ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Using a JUMP machine for remote admin

Using a JUMP machine for remote admin « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Ganford
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hello, i have probably little weird question. But i'm kind of lost. I would like to use MQ Remote administration to maintain more QMs on one remote Linux RedHat machine, but the situation is not so simple. When i need connect to QM on the RedHat from my win local machine I need always firstly connect to Linux JUMP machine. Use command to redirect ports 1414 to 10030 ssh -g -L 10030:localhost:1414 user@xx.xx.xx.xx) and then I’m able to open QM on my local workstation by using host name localhost, port number 10030. So i need to connect to JUMP machine and then to RedHat, where QM's are created. My question how to use MQ Remote administration while using Putty Tunnels?)
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Have a look at the MS81 SupportPac...
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

What kind of remote admin (MQSC commands or GUI)?

In this situation I get a firewall rule opened, one option being to connect a QM in the secured zone to a QM in my network zone and then connect MO71 using the via option.

That way MO71 connects to a QM that I can access then forwards commands and responses to/from the other QM. This will work for both GUI screens and MQSC window (in mO71).

The main thing MO71 can't do in this mode is use MQI calls - like browsing messages.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

exerk wrote:

That won't help at all.

I'd just configure all the MQ Explorer connections to use a set of fixed ports on localhost.

Then I'd write a linux shell script to do all the port forwarding.

Then I'd log in, run the script, and then launch MQ Explorer.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:
exerk wrote:

That won't help at all.

I was under the impression (incorrectly it seems) that IPT was designed to allow just that sort of thing... yet another school day!
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

exerk wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
exerk wrote:

That won't help at all.

I was under the impression (incorrectly it seems) that IPT was designed to allow just that sort of thing... yet another school day!

It's designed to act as a gateway between two networks.

It would have to be installed on the JUMP server and used instead of the port forwarding mechanism being mentioned. The port forwarding mechanism being mentioned is obviously intended to ensure that connections can only be opened by specific individuals from a specific direction (i.e. outbound from a secure zone), and can only be opened as part of a specific and auditable request.

Setting up an IPT gateway that avoided that request, and left the door open wouldn't help. And would probably make the security staff cranky.

Setting up an IPT gateway that only lasted while a user was logged in instead of simply using the ssh port forwarding method is more work than necessary.
Ganford
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks all for reply. Problem is that i'm not able to install WMQE on JUMP server. Looks like that there is currently no option how make it work. I tried it , but i just got new error in message log that's all

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21413653

Anyway, maybe someone has previous version of MS0P? I would like to have have this pack on WMQE 7.0x. I was not able to install version MS0P for WMQE7.1 on WMQE7.0x.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Using a JUMP machine for remote admin
Jump to: