ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQv7.5 on Windows Server 2012

MQv7.5 on Windows Server 2012 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zaldyman3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: MQv7.5 on Windows Server 2012 Reply with quote

Novice

Hi folks,

We are currently running on Win 2003 but our server team are planning to LCM our windows server to 2012 sometime in the next 6 month.

I had a look at the pre-req's for MQv7.5 and the Windows OS version 2012 is not yet listed as a suported environment...

Just wondering if anyone have already tried the installation or tested the compatibility...

Thanks...

Z
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MQv7.5 on Windows Server 2012 Reply with quote

Poobah

zaldyman3 wrote:

I had a look at the pre-req's for MQv7.5 and the Windows OS version 2012 is not yet listed as a suported environment...

Just wondering if anyone have already tried the installation or tested the compatibility...

Its irrelevant if some random stranger on the internet said they got it to work. Even if you chose to believe them, whose to say it won't stop working tomorrow for them or if you can get it to work.

What if the person that replies that they could NOT get it to work was a nitwit and missed obvious set up choices?

Until IBM says its supported, its not supported. Wait it out or tell the server team you need to go to Windows 2008.
zaldyman3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the response Peter...

Hence i posted here is to get some info from gurus like you that might have already been doing some backyard test of your own...

Unfortunately it is a business call that we skip 2008... so no chance of going that path but i have just submitted a requirement document to IBM in the UK to test out the compatibility.

cheers,
Z
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

As a general policy, I discourage my clients from deploying new releases of hardware or software. I believe that the risks usually outweigh the benefits. I prefer that my clients not be beta test sites for vendors.

What is the business case for going to Win2012? What does benefits does it bring to your organization?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zaldyman3 wrote:
Hence i posted here is to get some info from gurus like you that might have already been doing some backyard test of your own...

As far as your organization is concerned we're not gurus, we're random strangers on the Internet. Let's assume someone posts that we got it to work and it's fine; on that basis you move forwards and implement, bathed in the glory of Windoze.

3 months from now the broker goes spare, throwing memory errors and refusing to start. A small lynch mob of business users forms round your desk, chanting about how much money the business is losing and waving pitchforks. You raise a PMR with IBM for help; the first thing they'll say is "IBM does not support that configuration".

What do you do? Try and find the poster who said it worked and throw him to the mob?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Or, let's say that 3 out of 5 folks here reply that WMQ and Windoze 2012 work fine; but 2 out of 5 say otherwise. Who do you believe? Should you believe any of them?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:

A small lynch mob of business users forms round your desk, chanting about how much money the business is losing and waving pitchforks. You raise a PMR with IBM for help; the first thing they'll say is "IBM does not support that configuration".

I have to say, Vitor, based on recent posts that your place of employment seems to be the most dramatic place around. You should star in your own reality show - I'm assuming you play no small part in this drama
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Vitor wrote:

A small lynch mob of business users forms round your desk, chanting about how much money the business is losing and waving pitchforks. You raise a PMR with IBM for help; the first thing they'll say is "IBM does not support that configuration".

I have to say, Vitor, based on recent posts that your place of employment seems to be the most dramatic place around. You should star in your own reality show - I'm assuming you play no small part in this drama

Why I moved to the US; too many business users in the UK blame me for their project issues. They'll never find me here.

I, of course, have an alibi for the time in question as well as all the needed project sign off documents.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Vitor wrote:
Why I moved to the US;

I suspect you gave a different reason to your wife...
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Vitor wrote:
Why I moved to the US;

I suspect you gave a different reason to your wife...

Shush!
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:

He doesn't play a small part, he creates the drama
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

exerk wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

It keeps the business owners distracted from writing new requirements.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
exerk wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

It keeps the business owners distracted from writing new requirements.

It takes more than that to distract them. Most can at least amend the requirements in their sleep.

Which given some of the requirements I've seen might be the preferred method in use.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

I had to laught at some of the comment in this thread

But being serious I'm about to face the following situation.

I'm about to start a major new project where some IMHO stupid consultant has written into the contract something along the lines of the following,

"All servers will be running the latest version of Microsoft Windows Server.
All desktops and clients will be running the latest version of Microsoft Windows." There are to be NO exceptions."

so that means Server 2012, Windows 8 (don't all cheer at once) and how do I explain to the customer that a major component in the project will never be operational because the application that runs it uses Linux and can't be ported to Windows this side of doomsday.

I know that eventually IBM will support the latest windows incarnations but I have to demo a POC in 4 weeks time. I might as well give up and tell the customer not to bother spending his $2.4Bn of loose change on this project because it will never work simply because some consultant has made the contract impossible to complete.

Bah humbug as thay say

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:

"All servers will be running the latest version of Microsoft Windows Server.
All desktops and clients will be running the latest version of Microsoft Windows." There are to be NO exceptions."

So, the very day that a new version of Windoze becomes GA, it must be installed, tested and running? No exceptions? Absurd.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQv7.5 on Windows Server 2012
Jump to: