ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » backup and recover across platforms

backup and recover across platforms « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
eva555
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: backup and recover across platforms Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,

We are moving our qmgrs from MQ6(AIX) to MQ7.5(Linux). Ihave never done it across platforms before so wondering if the /var/mqm backup taken on AIX machine work as expected when restored to the /var/mqm on the linux machine ?
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Bearing in mind that as you are migrating to WMQ V7.5 that /var/mqm may not be your installation path, what are the chances that system files from one OS will be readable by another OS?

Ensure your queue managers are 'empty', i.e. no user-application messages. Use the appropriate SupportPac to back up the objects of your current queue managers and use those back-ups to recreate the queue managers on your new infrastructure.
nathanw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

exerk wrote:
Bearing in mind that as you are migrating to WMQ V7.5 that /var/mqm may not be your installation path, what are the chances that system files from one OS will be readable by another OS?

Ensure your queue managers are 'empty', i.e. no user-application messages. Use the appropriate SupportPac to back up the objects of your current queue managers and use those back-ups to recreate the queue managers on your new infrastructure.

Totally agree

It may take longer and be more arduous BUT in the end it is a better method

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

Only the User Trace Speaks The Truth
eva555
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the reply....Currently in the dev/QA environment, we are taking the MQSC backups via "saveqmgr" from AIX, create the objects in the newly created qmgr on the linux machine. And it all works fine without any hassle. But in production, we do not want to lose any msgs. So thinking of restoring backups from old qmgr
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:

@exerk Missing some coffee? /var/mqm would/should not contain any system files.
@eva555
Have you tried it? What happened when you did?
Make sure your backup plan is ready to go and looks very much like what exerk described.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
@exerk Missing some coffee?

Very much so it seems
nathanw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

eva555 wrote:
Thanks for the reply....Currently in the dev/QA environment, we are taking the MQSC backups via "saveqmgr" from AIX, create the objects in the newly created qmgr on the linux machine. And it all works fine without any hassle. But in production, we do not want to lose any msgs. So thinking of restoring backups from old qmgr

if when you stop MQ if you quiesce it then no more incoming data only outgoing

to make sure stop any channels for incoming messages .....

that way when you run the saveqmgr back up it should have no messages and therefore you should not have an issue

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

Only the User Trace Speaks The Truth
Andyh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

You don't mention what hardware you're planning to use, but assuming the migration is from POWER to X86-64 it will NOT be possible to backup the queue manager from AIX/POWER (big endian) and restore it on Linux/X86-64 (little endian).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » backup and recover across platforms
Jump to: