ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » How to count no of msg(s) received by MQ

How to count no of msg(s) received by MQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kash3338
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to count no of msg(s) received by MQ Reply with quote

Shaman

soumen.smn wrote:
Is there any command(s) available for this purpose or other way out?

soumen.smn wrote:
I want to count the no of msg(s) received by MQInput Node of my message flow.

If this is your only requirement, cant it be done using a DB counter instead of a monitoring tool?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
IBM need to finish the job and provide a simple GUI tool as standard. It's unrealistic to keep saying people should purchase one.

However support pac MS0P may do what you want.

You mean Broker Explorer?
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

No, I mean MS0P

This is Mark E Taylor's support pac which formats MQ admin messages such as statistics, accounting etc.

You wouldn't believe how much hassle it is to acquire, install and maintain non-IBM chargeable products that "enhance" MQ.

Some of these are more complex to install than MQ itself and can also lag behind MQ features. They can be hard to use and they are usually part of a much larger framework (which you may not need).

IBM need to acknowledge this and provide enough self-contained tools in the product, both as plug-ins to MQ explorer and as browser based.

Just providing a REST interface is not enough either. I don't know of any site where the MQ team have either the skills and the time to code their own browser interface to MQ or WMB.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
No, I mean MS0P

This is Mark E Taylor's support pac which formats MQ admin messages such as statistics, accounting etc.

Yes, I know it quite well.

My point is that, this thread is talking about an MQInput node. Broker Explorer, that comes with the product, provides a free gui for processing and reading Broker accounting statistics.

It doesn't, afaik, allow you to aggregate/save them. But it will show them to you on the fly over a window of time.
shyamala
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I gave a try to design a simple flow which does:

MQInput-->Compute(Environment.var1 = InputRoot.MQMD.Puttime)-->MQOutput-->Compute(CURRENT_GMTTIME - Environment.var1)

But How can i make this a utility..

As genric as any InputQ and any OutputQ for any application.
Can this be achieved?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shyamala wrote:
Can this be achieved?

If you're happy to do this in a flow, rather than monitor the actual queue manager activity (which has been the thrust of this thread so for) then you can leverage the monitoring facilities within WMB to obtain this information without using any ESQL.

(To collect the statitics at least)
shyamala
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thought on this Vitor.
Obviously when we have WBM in place that would have been my first option.
I am into production support and its really difficult at this point to disturb any of the flows.Difficlut in the sense by all means not just implementation.I understand that would be very easy to get my task done that way.But truth is that its not in my hand to deploy all of them with the monitoring change done.
So,. I am just trying to find a way to do this without touching those flows.But not able to move further on how I should make this generic...
Dont we have a way out other than using tools?

Secondly, can we achieve this by application triggering?
every Input Q of my applications would be set app trig enabled, and I would probly have to write a .c / .java program to get the MQMD props and calcluate this process time or a script written...
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shyamala wrote:
But truth is that its not in my hand to deploy all of them with the monitoring change done.

You don't need to redeploy the flows. Apply a monitoring profile to the existing flows.

So,. I am just trying to find a way to do this without touching those flows.But not able to move further on how I should make this generic...
Dont we have a way out other than using tools?

shyamala wrote:
Secondly, can we achieve this by application triggering?

You could, but if you think redeploying the flows is invasive what's going to happen to all the existing WMQ code when you use the triggering they're using to start to start this application of yours? Which is then going to consume the message to read the MQMD and (presumably) pass the message onto the application that's supposed to be consuming the message? However it's going to work that out?

If you want to do it at a queue manager level, re-read this thread and follow the advice given. This idea of yours is only going to cause you pain.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Let me repeat what vitor just said.

Use MONITORING to solve this problem.

DO NOT WRITE APPLICATIONS.

Purchase a 3rd party monitoring and management tool.

Or spend a good deal of time evaluating all of the available free choices for suitability, reliability and maintainability.
shyamala
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...Would like extend my thanks to Vitor and mqjeff to have taken their time in replying to my thoughts...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » How to count no of msg(s) received by MQ
Jump to: