ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Interface

Cluster Interface « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
DJGoodrich
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

A client has a need for an application to connect to a queue manger in a cluster, but also be able to connect to any other queue manager in the event the primary is not available.

My understanding is that this would need to be handled within the application code, but they are under the impression that this is an 'feature' of using clustered queue managers and therefore they do not have to code for it.

Please advise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kolban
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

This is not a feature of clustered queue managers but is a feature of MQSeries clients. When an MQSeries client attempts to reach one queue manager and it is not available, the client can automatically attempt a 2nd or 3rd ...

This takes a little setup see:

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/library/manualsa/csqzaf05/csqzaf051z.htm#HDRCLIENTQSG
DJGoodrich
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you, I understand how the clients work. The customer has need led to believe(before I arrived) that the feature is built-in when you use clustered queue managers. They do not want to put this logic in their applications, they want an interface to be isolated from the internal applications.

I hear from my sources that there is a add-on that is being developed, but it is not yet available as a support pack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kolban
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The technique described in the manual and in the previous posting is indepenent from manual code to select a queue manager. It works by having a table of alternate queue managers which are tried in fixed order. If one is down, the client internally (without any further code logic) will try the next one.
DJGoodrich
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Another part of the scenario involves work-load balancing. We do not want the applications to always try QM1, when QM2, QM3, QM4 are sitting there ready. Would a seperate table be required for each application, or can this be accomplished with an exit?

The internal code will work, but they have more detailed requirements.
kolban
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

To the best of my knowledge, there are no client exits that allow target queue manager selection. You could have different static tables for different clients ...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Interface
Jump to: