ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » IS03 SupportPac (WMB Monitoring)- something similar for z/OS

IS03 SupportPac (WMB Monitoring)- something similar for z/OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: IS03 SupportPac (WMB Monitoring)- something similar for z/OS Reply with quote

Master

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24030716

SupportPac IS03 provides a graphical means of viewing WebSphere Message Broker message flow statistics. Both SnapShot and Archive statistics can be viewed in an intuitive interface.

Is there something similar to this for z/OS. I am looking for a monitoring tool for wmb v7.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Read this http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247062.html
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I forgot to mention ...
I am looking for any tool other than Tivoli.

I don't know about Tivoli much although. I will read about it - what kind of monitoring information it can provide.

But is their any support pack from IBM on this?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What makes you think that IS03 doesn't work with zOS?

Why do you expect to get a free solution to your business requirements?
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff wrote -
Quote:
What makes you think that IS03 doesn't work with zOS?

I haven't gone through the entire support pack docs but this is what it's:
System requirements
Windows (XP or later) or a Linux system which has a IBM Java 6 JRE installed (Other versions of Java may
work but have not been tested)
WebSphere Message Broker Toolkit v7.0.0.2 or later
WebSphere MQ client JAR files.

mqjeff wrote -
Quote:
Why do you expect to get a free solution to your business requirements?

I wasn't aware of this. Actually haven't used any supportpack yet. Does supportpack are not part of the license?[/list]
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Go to the supportpac home page. You will discover that there are four categories of supportpacs.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The supportPac tells you what the requirements for installing and running the supportPac are.

It does not tell you what systems that broker runtimes must be using in order for the supportPac to add value.

It is a direct and fundamental part of your professional duties, that your employer is directly paying you for, for you to examine and understand the licenses of all of the software that you download and use.

It is a direct and fundamental part of your professional duties for you to ensure that your employer has adequate technical solutions to their business requirements, and that those technical solutions are cost effective compared to the value they provide. This does not mean that you should ALWAYS use a FREE solution. The FREE solution might end up costing MANY TIMES MORE than a PAID solution in TIME, and MAINTEANCE, and might not end up providing the SAME amount of value.

You are being lazy by asking for help in this forum on this subject. You are being lazy by not reviewing previous discussions on this topic.

Being lazy is unprofessional.
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

So

1. One should not suggest CAT 2 supportpac to client?
2. These supportpacs are available for licensed user only. Can't we use for performance testing.

I got confused with the system requirement listed on the supportpac but now as you mentioned it will work with z/OS now I can give it a try.

We already have tivoli + z/OS SMF tools in place and it does critical monitoring for us.

I was looking for options/tools which could help developer in analysing their code.

I did a quick search and TIvoli & IS03 came up in search + people have suggested for custom development tool.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

er_pankajgupta84 wrote:
So

1. One should not suggest CAT 2 supportpac to client?
2. These supportpacs are available for licensed user only. Can't we use for performance testing.

That's not what I said.

I said it's *your* job to understand them. Not my job to tell you what they say.

I said that you need to make sure the COST is not greater than the VALUE.

And then I said that "free" solutions can end up COSTING more than "paid" solutions.

er_pankajgupta84 wrote:
I got confused with the system requirement listed on the supportpac but now as you mentioned it will work with z/OS now I can give it a try.

That's ALSO not what I said.

I merely said that the requirements to RUN the supportPac had nothing to do with the requirements of the systems that the Brokers can run on.

I do not make any assertions about whether or not IS03 works with zOS Brokers.

I merely asked why you thought they *didn't* work. And then when you said it was because you didn't understand the system requirements, I explained the system requirements.

er_pankajgupta84 wrote:
We already have tivoli + z/OS SMF tools in place and it does critical monitoring for us.

I was looking for options/tools which could help developer in analysing their code.

I did a quick search and TIvoli & IS03 came up in search + people have suggested for custom development tool.

You should easily be able to get the data you need from your existing monitoring tool.
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff - Thanks for your valuable clarification.

My intension of posting this topic onto forum was to know if someone has used this supportpac on z/OS or not. If someone has then we could share the experience.

Sometime my over-excitedness makes me skip basic steps and people think I am lazy
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Monitoring topic.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Most z/OS shops have invested in performance monitoring tools (like Tivoli), and also capture and process SMF accounting and statistics records.

If you are not a mainframe (z/OS) person, I'd strongly suggest that you visit with such a person in your organization.

z/OS is not Windows/UNIX.
er_pankajgupta84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

bruce -

Yes I am new to mainframes. I know about SMF facility and we do have tools like MICS to analyse SMF records. As I mentioned we do have tivoli to monitor prod system.

All these tools are not accessed to developer and require lots of cordinations between various teams to get information.

The objective of this post was to look for aditional tools which can provide value add to the developers.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

er_pankajgupta84 wrote:
All these tools are not accessed to developer and require lots of cordinations between various teams to get information.

Perhaps at your shop it is difficult, but if the tools are there for systems programmers, they can be made available to developers, too. This is not all that uncommon.

If your organization is not willing to make the existing performance monitoring tools available to developers, why do you believe it will allow developers access to new tools?

I'm going to guess that what you have encountered is the well-known and historic "mainframe roadblock". Mainframers will know exactly what I mean.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » IS03 SupportPac (WMB Monitoring)- something similar for z/OS
Jump to: