ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » CLUSDR queue naming

CLUSDR queue naming « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqnomad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: CLUSDR queue naming Reply with quote

Acolyte

We are finally looking at creating a clustered environment. I have looked in several sources including presentations and Infocenter - but would like to confirm we are not introducing a problem.

If I follow the first couple of tasks in creating a cluster - then adding a queue manager - things seem to check out, but need to be sure.

MQ Cluster 101 question

- Several queue managers in the cluster - names below are shortened

QMGR1 - full repository

CLUSRCVR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR1

CLUSSDR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR2
------------------------

QMGR2 - full repository

CLUSRCVR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR2

CLUSSDR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR1

-----------------------

QMGR3

Then remaining queue managers with partial repositories have a CLUSSDR to either of the two full repositories - so

QMGR3 - partial repository

CLUSRCVR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR3

CLUSDR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR1

----------------------

QMGR4

CLUSRCVR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR4

CLUSDR channel name: CLUSNAME.QMGR2

---------------------

So - is having the same CLUSDR channel names in the same cluster, even if these belong to different queue managers going to cause a problem, or will this be ok? If yes, should I add a name differentiator to these CLUSDR names?

In Infocenter- the PARIS queue manager seems to duplicate the TO.xxx CLUSSDR name for one of the earlier queue managers - but as I mentioned, just trying to make sure.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Please read or re-read the appropriate documentation - to answer these two questions:

What is the specific purpose of a CLUSSDR channel?

What is the specific purpose of a CLUSRCVR channel?

You are safe to follow the examples in the WMQ Queue Manager Clusters manual, or equivalent InfoCenter documentation, for setting up a cluster.
mqnomad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you for the response Bruce ... so I am aware of the purpose of the CLUSRCVR and CLUSSDR - the the question was more to *confirm* if having several CLUSSDR channels in the same cluster - even if they belong to different queue managers - would corrupt the cluster.

Since the Infocenter documentation never shows the entire three queue manager cluster and their channels, it would be preferable not to assume this would work as separately documented. It would have been great if they had the entire cluster definitions for the three QM's on the same page.

So more specifically, will having several CLUSDR channels with the same name although each belonging to different qmgrs break the cluster?

Thanks.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

This is taken directly from the WMQ Clusters manual:
------------------------------------
A cluster-receiver channel definition defines a channel on which a queue manager can receive messages. A queue manager’s CLUSRCVR definition enables other queue managers to auto-define their corresponding CLUSSDR channel definitions to that queue manager.

First each queue manager must manually define a cluster-sender channel. This definition enables the queue manager to make its initial contact with the cluster. It names the full repository queue manager to which the queue manager preferentially chooses to send cluster information.
------------------------------------
So, QMGR1 should have a CLUSRCVR channel named TO.QMGR1 (or something like that). This channel def will be used by all other cluster qmgrs that need to send messages to QMGR1.

QMGR1 will also have a CLUSSDR channel to a full-repository named TO.QMGR2 (or something like that). Other qmgrs in the cluster have a CLUSSDR channel TO.QMGR2 to QMGR2 if it is also their full-repos.

So, no, no problem with this.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

@mqnomad,

Check that all qmgrs in your MQ network and especially in the cluster have a unique qmgr name.

Do not create a cluster directly in production.
Start with DEV, move to QA and then only production.
The experience you will acquire in DEV and QA will be invaluable.

You have looked into the theory, infocenter, etc... and have everything ready to go...
Now implement in DEV and let us know if you hit a snag...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Remember that channel pairs have to have the same name in order to match.

So a CLUSSDR needs to match to a CLUSRCVR.

This means that every qmgr in the cluster must have a CLUSSDR that has the same name as one of the CLUSRCVRs on one of the FRs.

And the firm recommendation is to have exactly two FRs. So that means that you will have at most two different CLUSRCVR names that must have matching CLUSSDRs. Consequently, unless you only have two qmgrs that are PRs, there must exist at least two qmgrs that have the same named CLUSSDR defined on them.
mqnomad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for all the responses - have taken note!

Right on the clssdr and clsrcvr pair - also read up on the clusrcvr overriding the sdr. Thanks again.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqnomad wrote:
- also read up on the clusrcvr overriding the sdr. Thanks again.

QMGR1's CLUSRCVR channel def attributes are used by other qmgrs to create CLUSSDR channels back to QMGR1 - not exactly an 'override'.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqjeff wrote:
Remember that channel pairs have to have the same name in order to match.

So a CLUSSDR needs to match to a CLUSRCVR.

This means that every qmgr in the cluster must have a CLUSSDR that has the same name as one of the CLUSRCVRs on one of the FRs.

And the firm recommendation is to have exactly two FRs. So that means that you will have at most two different CLUSRCVR names that must have matching CLUSSDRs. Consequently, unless you only have two qmgrs that are PRs, there must exist at least two qmgrs that have the same named CLUSSDR defined on them.

I agree with the "exacty 2 FRs" mantra.

If the qmgrs are only ever going to be in one cluster, a common naming standard for defining each qmgr's CLUSRCVR is to use "TO.QmgrName".

If there are going to be overlapped clusters the name should be qualified with the cluster name, eg. "TO.QmgrName.MYCLUS1".

Remember that there are only 20 characters to play with in channel names.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » CLUSDR queue naming
Jump to: