ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » V7.1 MI Qmgrs and Domain Controllers

V7.1 MI Qmgrs and Domain Controllers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
murdeep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: V7.1 MI Qmgrs and Domain Controllers Reply with quote

Master

Ok, so I am reviewing the "whats new" in V7.1 and come across this:

Quote:
In WebSphere MQ for Windows version 7.1, you can run multi-instance queue managers on Windows servers or workstations that are part of a domain. In version 7.0.1, multi-instance queue managers had to run on domain controllers.

Well reading a little deeper this may not really be the case. I came across this interesting note.

Quote:
An example shows how to set up a multi-instance queue manager on Windows on a workstation or a server that is part of a Windows domain. The server does not have to be a domain controller. The setup is small and simple, to demonstrate the concepts involved, rather than being production scale.

So exactly what does "rather than being production scale" mean?

So, has the Domain Controller requirement on windows been lifted or not?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: V7.1 MI Qmgrs and Domain Controllers Reply with quote

Jedi Council

murdeep wrote:
Ok, so I am reviewing the "whats new" in V7.1 and come across this:

Quote:
In WebSphere MQ for Windows version 7.1, you can run multi-instance queue managers on Windows servers or workstations that are part of a domain. In version 7.0.1, multi-instance queue managers had to run on domain controllers.

Well reading a little deeper this may not really be the case. I came across this interesting note.

Quote:
An example shows how to set up a multi-instance queue manager on Windows on a workstation or a server that is part of a Windows domain. The server does not have to be a domain controller. The setup is small and simple, to demonstrate the concepts involved, rather than being production scale.

So exactly what does "rather than being production scale" mean?

So, has the Domain Controller requirement on windows been lifted or not?

I took that to mean "...we are demonstrating how it can be done on some cheap and cheerful bits of tin we had lying around in the lab. Of course you would use proper servers, with all the Production-level safeguards that that environment requires...".

Reading through the examples given, it appears that the requirement to only install on DCs is lifted, but DCs are still required, i.e. if you're only running a Windows workgroup you're out of luck, and interestingly, the main body text of the V7.1 Info Centre still states that MI queue managers require configuration on DCs.
JasonE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Docs:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/mq50090_.htm#mq50090___newfunc_miqm
Quote:
In WebSphere MQ for Windows version 7.1, you can run multi-instance queue managers on Windows servers or workstations that are part of a domain

More details in
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/zc15130_.htm

So at 7.0, directories were secured adding the SID of the local mqm group - since that changes between nodes, the only way of having the same SID on both machines was to make them DC's. At 7.1 you can specify a different group which can put the SID for security against, as long as the SID is consistent between machines - ie any domain group (you couldnt secure with domain groups at all previously). All you need is to supply the group on the crtmqm command.
murdeep
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Ok, so as long as we use a domain id whose SID has access to the queue and log files from both nodes we're good.
JasonE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You need to have MQ running under a domain id, which in turn is a member of a domain group.

You then supply that domain group on the crtmqm (I dont believe it can be changed later) and the domain groups SID is added to the ACL's of the files to enable access to remain when running on the standby

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » V7.1 MI Qmgrs and Domain Controllers
Jump to: