ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportIs there a way to do pub/sub in an unconventional way

Is there a way to do pub/sub in an unconventional way View previous topic :: View next topic
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Of course naming qmgrs and xmitqs QMxxxx would make the xmitqs easy-to-identify.

Maybe, but certainly not to scripts unless you maintain and feed in a list of your QMs.

bruce2359 wrote:
I seem to recall that MCAs open xmitqs INPUT_EXCLUSIVE - on z/OS, too.

Good point.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
...Yes, I know naming an xmitq something not == downstream qmgr is possible, but what are the benefits - other than obfuscation?

Class-of-service, i.e. some messages using the 'proper' XMITQ (same name as the downstream queue manager) and other messages via a differently named XMITQ. I've seen it done, and I neither endorse nor reject it.

Yes, in the instance where there are multiple paths between qmgrs there is a need for one of the xmitqs to be named something other than == downstream qmgr name.
mqrules
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thank you all for your comments – much appreciated. Looks like I haven’t made my point very clear.

“XMITQ with the same name as the Qmgr” EQUALS “QMGRAlias with the same name as the qmgr –> pointing to an XMITQ” . There is no difference. Let me illustrate:

QMA requesting <---> replying QMB

When Requesting app specifys ReplyToQ =Q1, RepltyoQMgr=QMA ….
On QMA you need: on QMB:

Option:
XMITQ=QMB XMITQ: QMA
Channel sdr: QMA.QMB Channel rcvr: QMA.QMB
Channel rcvr: QMA.QMB Channel sdr: QMB.QMA
QL: Q1 QL: Q2
RemoteQ: You DON’T need one RemoteQ (for the ReplyToWQ): You DON’T need one

Option 2:
XMITQ=QMA.QMB.X XMITQ: QMA.QMB.X
QmgrAlias: QmgrAlias QMA rnmae(‘’)rqmname(QMA) xmitq(QMB.QMA.X)
QMB rnmae(‘’)rqmname(QMB) xmitq(QMA.QMB.X)
RemoteQ: You DON’T need one RemoteQ (for the ReplyToWQ): You DON’T need one

In the above 2 options, you don’t even need to define any remote queue as the name resolution will get you across to the other qmgr. I can think of 2 caveats to either one of the approaches (which are inherently the same):

1- When the app starts using a new remote queue in their app, it will work without us (the MQ admins) even knowing about it. When they come and say to us, I am not getting any messages blah blah blah… the usual complaints, especially in a multi-hop environment, it would be really hard to debug to see what is happening as there are no remote queues.
2- Suppose that the RCVR channel of the QMB is NOT secured. It would be so easy , in a hub-spoke architecture, to connect to get to one of the spokes via the hub qmgr (In MQExplorer, you can connect to it via the Intermediate Qmgr) and admitnier it remotely.

That is why we use the:
Option 3:
On QMA: On QMB:
XMITQ=QMA.QMB.X XMITQ: QMB.QMA.X
RemoteQ: You must define it RemoteQ (for the ReplyToWQ): You must define it

Benefits to us:
1- Yes, explicitly defined QR will get its Rname RqmName and XMITQ from its definition. App should leave the RqmName blank when using the RemoteQs. Yes, explicitly defined QR will override. I am all familiar with the programming side of MQ as I used to be a developer for many years.
So, tomorrow, if the app starts using a “new” QR without asking us to define it, it won’t work. I can see the downside to this approach but we like the benefits of using this approach. As I said, no app has been using Dynamic queues as replytoQs yet. When they start using them (dynamic Qs) we will have no choice but use optin 1 or 2 above.
2- Our channels are all secured in Prod. In Test/Dev, we leave most of them unsecured. But no one can remote control the QMGR via another QMGR (as name resulition expects to have an XMITQ or QMGRALias-with-an-XMITQ with the same name as the qmgr they are trying to reach).

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond with your valuable input!

Regards,
MR
mqrules
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Oooops! Very sorry about the doulbe-posting.... I tried to format the second one better but it did not make any difference. ...

MR
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqrules wrote:
Oooops! Very sorry about the doulbe-posting.... I tried to format the second one better but it did not make any difference. ...

MR

No worries. Duplicate deleted.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I'm just a bit confused...

Are you saying that your developers specify both qname and qmgrname in the MQOD at MQOPEN?

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportIs there a way to do pub/sub in an unconventional way
Jump to: