ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Millions of messages loaded into SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.XXXX

Millions of messages loaded into SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.XXXX « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kodiakk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Millions of messages loaded into SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.XXXX Reply with quote

Acolyte

My coordination queue manager takes an extremely long time to become responsive after a recycle. At this point, it is approaching an hour, and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes even longer.
It appears to me that what is taking so much time is that the queue manager is loading literally millions of messages into the SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.4CB2B9551E2DB321 queue. (Obviously that final number changes.)
Here's an excerpt from the error log:

EXPLANATION:
3240000 messages from queue SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.4CB2B9551E2DB321 have been
loaded on queue manager xxxxxx.
ACTION:
None.

I've seen this behavior in the past. Once it completes, everything seems to be fine, but until then, the queue manager is pretty much non-responsive.
Obviously, these records all have to do with FTE transmissions and logging, as nothing else goes through this queue manager. My question is, can I safely remove these messages in any way? I can't imagine that these numbers are going to get smaller on their own...

Thanks!
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Isn't there a process supposed to consume all these messages?
mphillip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

There kind of is a process, but I'm guessing noone's started it for a while.

What I'm guessing is going on here is that at some stage you've used the FTE MQExplorer plugin to look at file transfers.

The FTE Plugin creates a durable subscription to the SYSTEM.FTE topic to get a copy of all Log messages that are emitted by FTE agents in the network. It's durable so you can close Explorer and come back later to see the ones that happened while you were away.

The unfortunate side effect of this is that the durable subscription it makes hangs around, and if you never start up MQExplorer again it'll just keep on building up messages.

Rather than starting up MQExplorer, which will take ages to read all those messages that you are probably not interested in, take a look at the Subscriptions on that queuemanager.

There's probably one going to that queue, with a 'Subscription Name' of something like "<HOSTNAME> - <big-long-hex-number>", to the topic SYSTEM.FTE, Topic String "SYSTEM.FTE/Log/#"

If you've got one of these, and you don't care about those log messages, delete the subscription and I think that should get rid of all those messages.

The subscription won't appear again unless you start up MQExplorer and connect the FTE plugin.

Later versions of the FTE Plugin have the option to make this a non-durable subscription rather than the default of durable - go into "Window>Preferences>WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition" in MQ Explorer and change the Transfer Log subscriber type to non-durable.

Hope this helps.
kodiakk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Yes, I keep an eye on the MQ Explorer throughout the day, just to reassure myself, more than anything. I'd prefer not to stop, but if all it takes is deleting those subscriptions, no problem there... I don't really need to keep a back-log of transfers like that, I'm more interested in real-time.

I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks!
mphillip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

If you have MQExplorer open all day then the messages shouldn't be backing up. they should all be being delivered to your MQExplorer.

It's possible that someone else used MQExplorer from a different system at some time and it is that subscription that is storing up the messages and not getting drained.

Check if there are multiple subscriptions to SYSTEM.FTE/Logs/# - there might be a spare lying about that's causing the problem that you can get rid of.
Gerd-in-ZA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Known issue - can be fixed in 7.0.3? Reply with quote

Novice

Apparently works like this: A user checks FTE logs from MQ Explorer and a duarable subscription is opened for her/him. Two users do that, each gets his/her own subscription with its own queue and its own copy of every log message published by FTE. If a user doesn't come back frequently to consume these messages they just accumulate endlessly, causing delays at QM restarts, as observed. Suggested workaround: unless you can think of a useful way to work with these messages, just delete them, or even better, delete the subscriptions.

As from FTE V7.0.3 you should be able to configure if you want durable subscriptions or not. I haven't seen that myself yet, but have been assured the problem has been addressed.
kodiakk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you all very much.
I have removed all of the "extra" subscriptions associated with this queue manager... and while I haven't had to recycle it since the day I posted this query, I have noticed that my Transfer Log view is much more responsive. I'll be sure to add an update to this post after the next recycle to accurately document what effect this had upon my restart time.

Thanks again!
Gerd-in-ZA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Good News! Reply with quote

Novice

Please bear in mind that - unless you use V7.0.3 or better by now and have changed the option - you and your fellow users will still create new durable subscriptions on a regular basis. This isn't a drama, it just means that from time to time you would have to go through and delete them again.
kodiakk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Understood.
We're not at version 7.0.3, and have no plans to upgrade at this time. (Our initial introduction to FTE was a bit... shaky... around here, and a lot of the management is still weary of it. It's been running well for months, in my opinion, but you never get a second chance to make a first impression...

I don't mind deleting the subscriptions from time to time. Now that I know that it's safe to do so, not a big deal.

Thanks again!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Millions of messages loaded into SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.XXXX
Jump to: