ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQSeries as an XA Transaction Manager

MQSeries as an XA Transaction Manager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jnuckolls
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unable to get an MQSeries V5.1.0.6 QMgr to correctly coordinate a unit of work with an Oracle 8.1.6 Database using the Oracle client interface. Tracing the MQ side of things shows the following flow after the application issues an MQCMIT:

xa_end
xa_prepare
xa_commit

I would expect the flow to be in a different order:

xa_prepare
xa_commit
xa_end

After setting the Oracle client debug flags on, the trace shows the xa_end issuing the OCITransDetach which ends the transaction and subsequently causes a rollback on the Oracle side.

Has anybody been able to get this running correctly?

kolban
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Jim, do you know of anywhere (perhaps on the web) where we can find the XA specification? At a gut feel, the XA_END may be allowed before a commit/rollback. The XA_BEGIN and XA_END would then demark a transactional logical unit of work. The demarkation of an end of scope of the LUW doesn't mean that its outcome need be decided, only that no more activity need be allowed within the current scope of that transaction ...
jnuckolls
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neal, I haven't talked to you in a while. Good to know that IBM is holding on to its' talent. You are a step ahead of me. I was planning to look for an X/Open standards document on the web today. With all of that being said, I am having difficulty with the logic of this thing (probably because of my mainframe background with CICS and its syncpoint manager). If what you suggest is indeed true, then the problem is with Oracle and not MQSeries. If you find a website before I do please let me know. Cheers, Jim
kolban
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

So far the best I have found on the web is an ISBN and purchase info ... see

http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/full_lst.htm

see also

http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/c193.htm

[ This Message was edited by: kolban on 2001-07-03 15:00 ]
jnuckolls
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal, here is a URL for an Oracle document that has an interesting table at the end containing XA flow calls. It looks kinda' like your supposition might be right, but, doesn't specifically state in what sequence they need to be called.

http://technet.oracle.com/products/oracle8/htdocs/xdtptwp7.htm

I am having the customer's Oracle DBA ply Oracle with questions about what they expect as far as sequence is concerned.
jnuckolls
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do some research in the Pro*C/C++ Programming Guide for Oracle8.1.6 and found a statement under XA application devlopment that said XA applications don't do a database CONNECT operation. That is done as part of the xa_open flow. I remebered seeing a trace print from that piece of the application (developed by a third party) that said a successful connect had been made. We checked the code and it is indeed doing a database CONNECT. Next step is to comment out that code and run the test again. I have a strong feeling that this is indeed the problem.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQSeries as an XA Transaction Manager
Jump to: