ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » generic SETMQAUT for everyone not MQM group

generic SETMQAUT for everyone not MQM group « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ivanachukapawn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: generic SETMQAUT for everyone not MQM group Reply with quote

Knight

I want to setup a generic setmqaut which will prevent everyone NOT in mqm group from performing MQ admin

my wish is for a command such as:

setmqaut -m QmgrName -g NOTmqm -alladm

but there doesn't not appear to be a way to specify "everyone not in mqm".

I am not able to specify individual principles (volatile list) and these people (developers) are domain users and not part of a group.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Assuming Windows (as you mention 'domain'), anyone with Administrator rights on the server has implicit mqm group privileges, and if your developers userid's are not given explicit authorisations, they can't do anything anyway. So what's the issue?
ivanachukapawn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

the problem was described to me by the manager as follows: the developers do not have administrator rights on the Win 2003 server but nevertheless can delete queues and channels etc. via access to the Qmgr via JExplorer - so I guess I should research this one from that angle i.e. how could JExplorer expose a "backdoor" to MQ admin for users who do not have administrator rights?
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Find the channel they're using (someone define a SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN by any chance?) and lock it, or block it! Slap BlockIP2 on the box and explicitly block them...and lack of security in java connections to WMQ is a well known issue.
ivanachukapawn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I am not permitted to block the SVRCONN being used by JExplorer. The developers need to be able to view/browse the queues, etc. That's why I posed the original post re: SETMQAUT to block access for NON-administrators to admin commands - apparently the developers could get by with just MQI - but SETMQAUT does not appear to have a setting for -g 'NON'-administrator.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Tag the channel with an ID in the MCAUSER field.

Grant that ID the minimum access it needs to only allow non admin stuff. Search this site for what setmqaut commands are needed for a non admin MQ Explorer connection.

Start thinking about getting off JExplorer. When was the last time that was updated? It won't work forever as new MQ versions come out.

If you don't want the developers doing admin type stuff, they shouldn't have an admin type tool to begin with.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Use BlockIP2 to stop blank and MQM id connections, except from known users or known IP addresses.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

ivanachukapawn wrote:
I am not permitted to block the SVRCONN being used by JExplorer. The developers need to be able to view/browse the queues, etc.

First-off, MQJExplorer does not send a UserID when it connects to the queue manager (it is blank) - which is a security hole. Plus it can only connect to SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN channel (hard-coded in the app). Finally, MQJExplorer was withdrawn from the market at least 5 years ago.

Why not just give the developers a tool that can only do message editing? (i.e. MQ Visual Edit)

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » generic SETMQAUT for everyone not MQM group
Jump to: