ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How does AMQP compare to MQ?

How does AMQP compare to MQ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
flwilliams87
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: How does AMQP compare to MQ? Reply with quote

Acolyte

I've been tasked with finding an alternative messaging to solution to MQ and the powers that be want me to look into AMQP. I have a meeting scheduled with a Redhat Rep this afternoon to discuss this product but I would like to know has anyone used AMQP? And if so how does it compare to MQ? I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this post...
manicminer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Interesting posting on an MQ forum asking for peoples opinions of an alternative product

Also, as I'm sure you are aware from your own research (http://www.amqp.org/confluence/display/AMQP/FAQ#FAQ-Q4%3AWhatisa%27wirelevel%27protocol%3F) AMQP isn't a product, so it's hard to compare AMQP with MQ. One is a real product with real features, the other is an open specification that anyone can use as a way for their product to communicate.

Trying to compare AMQP with MQ is like trying to compare HTTP with Firefox. You cannot really draw any meaningful comparisons. Firefox simply uses HTTP to communicate and people cannot interact directly with HTTP, they need a piece of software to sit in the middle.

What you need is to find a product that implements AMQP then look to compare that to the reliability, rich API, cross platform support etc. that MQ provides.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

manicminer wrote:
Interesting posting on an MQ forum asking for peoples opinions of an alternative product

It's happened before and will happen again.

It is rather like reinventing a wheel. You're better off looking at things like ActiveMQ. You might also want to ask the powers the be if the reduced licensing costs of any alternative product fully offset the increased business risk & additional development they tend to require.

In short, they should look at TCO not captial cost.
Mut1ey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How does AMQP compare to MQ? Reply with quote

Acolyte

flwilliams87 wrote:
I have a meeting scheduled with a Redhat Rep this afternoon to discuss this product ...

How did it go? Anything interesting. From the little I have seen about AMQP, via a very unfortuantely named, RabbitMQ, it seems that AMQP has the breadth of both a Message Queueing, as well as a Message Brokerage, dare I say ESB. I have not read enough about the product, which implements one of the pre-version 1.0 specifications but I do have a question about the standards body that supports the specification, as it does not seem to be Apache, IEEE or any other well-known body.

Personally I would not have a major concern about TCO versus Revenue (software) costs given that MQ is a relatively cheap product, at least on distributed platforms. Broker is a different proposition entirely. The key things to consider would probably be quality of support, and life of product. Redhat would be a good choice but I would want to know what level of commitment they were making to keep AMQP support into the future.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Mut1ey wrote:
Personally I would not have a major concern about TCO versus Revenue (software) costs given that MQ is a relatively cheap product, at least on distributed platforms. Broker is a different proposition entirely

You are aware of course that MQ includes a pub/sub broker and that the product you were alluding to (with the higher cost) is WebSphere Message Broker (WMB) and serves a different purpose...

Have fun
Mut1ey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

fjb_saper wrote:
You are aware of course that MQ includes a pub/sub broker and that the product you were alluding to (with the higher cost) is WebSphere Message Broker (WMB) and serves a different purpose...

As I mentioned I have only looked into the AMQP standard superficially. So it is entirely possible that by "broker" they mean publish/subscribe broker, as opposed to Message Broker. However, given that the JMS Specification covers Publish/ Subscribe, and that I assume RedHat offer their product as part of an Appliacation Server, i.e. Java EE, I would be perpared to believe that it was a message broker/ ESB. However I am prepared to be corrected!
Mut1ey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Ok - I have looked in a bit more detail and it seems the AMQP is a multi-language specification (not just Java) that covers point-point and pub/sub domains. It also includes content-based routing via a standard "wire format".

I would have to read the specification for more details.

Interesting.
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I've been tasked with the same thing.

Vitor is correct when he asks if the powers that be understand that licensing costs are not the whole picture.

Additional problems:

- The cost for the application teams to put all current work on hold so that they can spend their time changing their MQ API calls to something else,
- The learning curve for both the MQ Admin team and Applications Development teams.
- Do the external companies we connect to even support the replacement product?

In our case, it just seems like an exercise in trying to gain leverage with IBM in reducing our costs (highly unlikely)

Frankly, in our case, the best option would be to try and consolidate the number of MQ Server instances we're running. Create an MQ Farm, paying only for four or five MQ Server licenses (Prod, HA, QA, DEV, DR) rather than each application getting it's own MQ Server instance (currently we've over 30 MQ Server installations). This way, at best , you have to recompile the apps to use Client libraries, maybe change the use MQSeries to se MQSeries::MQClient in Perl scripts, point Java apps to a client jar file, etc...

Having said all this, what alternatives are really out there? Managment has asked me to find out about RedHat JBOSS, Oracle WebLogic, various open source products.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
Having said all this, what alternatives are really out there?

As with any analysis, you (your management) must start with requirements.

For example, what platform(s) are to be supported? AIX, Solaris, Windows, z/OS, iSeries?

What development platforms? JMS, Jave, C, C++, COBOL?

Is this a purchase vs. home-grown decision?
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

bruce2359 wrote:
Quote:
Having said all this, what alternatives are really out there?

As with any analysis, you (your management) must start with requirements.

For example, what platform(s) are to be supported? AIX, Solaris, Windows, z/OS, iSeries?

What development platforms? JMS, Jave, C, C++, COBOL?

Is this a purchase vs. home-grown decision?

Strictly Solaris (Sparc & x86)

At least AFAIK, JMS, Jave, C, C++, Perl.

As far as a purchase vs. home-grown, I assume you're asking about any replacement solution? It would be a purchase.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How does AMQP compare to MQ?
Jump to: