ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Not getting Report Messages (COA, COD, Expiry)

Not getting Report Messages (COA, COD, Expiry) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vasu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Guys,

When I send a reply message I am setting the following Report Options (COA - Confirmation on Arrival, COD - Confirmation on Delivery, Expiry & Exception). Also, I am setting the ReplytoQueue property to receive the Report messages.

When I send my replies to a local queue mgr, i am getting the report messages back (COA, COD, Expiry). But, when I send the replies to a remote QMgr, I am not receiving any report messages.

Do I need to configure something at remote qmgr side to turn on reporting ? Sounds ugly though

I would appreciate if you could help me out with any tips/suggestions.

Thanks,
Vasu.
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vasu,
assuming that you have a channel active in both directions, I'd recommend to check the dead letter queue of the remote system. I'll bet a bit that you will find your report messages there, with a DLH Reason of either 2035 (not authorized) or 2085 (object not found).
The first meaning that your local user id is not authorized to put to the remote transmission queue, the latter meaning that you may have misspelled something in the remote reply queue definition or in your application (case-sensitivity). If you haven't defined a reply queue explicitly on the remote system, you must make sure that you have a transmission queue with the same name as your local queue manager.
But the DLH Reason code will give you the details.
Hope that helps,
Stefan
vasu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Stefan,

I am seeing the Report messages (COA, COD) on System Dead Letter Queue on Remote QMGr side. Remote QMgr has no idea of QMGR/QUEUE that i am setting.

Thanks a lot for your help

Vasu
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vasu,
I am not sure if this was just a feedback and you know how to go from there, or if you need more help!?
Just let us know,
Stefan
vasu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

We are planning to do the following :

1. Create Transmission Queue Mgr/Queue on Remote QMgr and use those queue names as Reply to Queue on Local QMgr for report messages. Those transmission queues on remote m/c will forward the msgs to Local Qmgr.

I have a question. I am setting Msg Expiry Report msg option. What will happen in the following scenario

I sent a message to a remote qmgr with replytoqueue set to remoteQmgr queue. If message reaches the remote queue, I will get confirmation back - no problem. But what happens if the msg expires when it sits in Local QMGR. Local QMGR has no idea of replytoqueue mgr set in the message since those queues refer to remote queues ?

So, the solution i am thinking of is to create same set of remote queue/mgrs on local qmgr also. Is this approach correct ?
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vasu,
it is a bad idea to code knowledge about remote queue names into applications. If your application sets the ReplyToQueue/ReplyToQueueManager correctly, all you need on the remote side is either

1) a transmission queue name with the same name as your local (ReplytTo) queue manager. This queue needs to be serviced by a channel that connects back to your local QMgr, of course, -OR-
2) a queue manager alias, which is basically a definition of a QREMOTE, where the queue name is the name of your local queue manager, the transmission queue is the one serviced by a channel to your local queue manager, a BLANK RNAME attribute and the RQMNAME attribute set to the name of your local queue manager.

If you make any of this a configuration standard for your queue managers, you'll never have to worry about replies again...

Good luck,
Stefan
vasu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Stefan,

It makes sense to me now on how to configure/name the queue managers/queues to avoid these kind of problems. Your post really was very helpful in understanding the problem.

Thank you very much for your valuable time. I will keep you posted how it goes. Hopefully I will not see any problems with all the expert feedback I am receiving here I am a novice in this MQ area and trying to pickup and you guys making my job easier

Thanks,
Vasu

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Not getting Report Messages (COA, COD, Expiry)
Jump to: