ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003

MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if i can install WMQ 5.2 on Windows 2003? Or if i can install WMQ 5.3 on Win 2003?

Thanks in advance
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
Does anyone know if i can install WMQ 5.2 on Windows 2003? Or if i can install WMQ 5.3 on Win 2003?

You shouldn't install either of them. They're both out of support and there's no good reason to put them on a new box.

If you ask Mr Google, he'll tell you the requirements for the levels. If you're silly enough to persist in this desire.
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

You shouldn't install either of them. They're both out of support and there's no good reason to put them on a new box.

If you ask Mr Google, he'll tell you the requirements for the levels. If you're silly enough to persist in this desire.

I know i shouldn't install these products, i know they are out of support, but this is not my question. I wanna know if they can be installed and used without problems in Win2003.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
I know i shouldn't install these products

Then why are you doing it?

juanmg wrote:
I wanna know if they can be installed and used without problems in Win2003.

If they could, IBM would never bother to offer support for the product.

If you can spare the time from your clearly busy schedule to look up the requirements as I suggested, you'll find the requirements for these versions.

Unless you feel just asking the question until someone gives you an answer you like is a better use of your time.
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

Because the customer wants to do it this way.

Of course i asked Mr Google before posting here, and keep searching there while someone could give me an answer here.

The answer is not supported for 5.2, only for 5.3, that was all i need, thanks for your time anyway.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

Then you should point out to the customer that they are being very, very silly and have a very odd attitude to business risk. As an WMQ professional you need to underline to the customer exactly what "out of support" means in practical terms.
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:
Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

Then you should point out to the customer that they are being very, very silly and have a very odd attitude to business risk. As an WMQ professional you need to underline to the customer exactly what "out of support" means in practical terms.

I agree, of course i have explained the situation and hope this is just temporal and can migrate to version 7 or 6 at least.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
this is just temporal and can migrate to version 7 or 6 at least.

And the reason your customer is not starting the migration by testing v6 or v7 on this new box is......?
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

And the reason your customer is not starting the migration by testing v6 or v7 on this new box is......?

$$$$ pretty much...
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

$$$$ pretty much...

So your customer is put off by the cost of the free upgrade?

I hope you're being paid in advance......
juanmg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:
Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:

$$$$ pretty much...

So your customer is put off by the cost of the free upgrade?

I hope you're being paid in advance......

its kind of complicated, i wouldn't like to share details, but its about money pretty much
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

juanmg wrote:
its kind of complicated

Clearly. Your customers are prepared to run on out of support software rather than spend no money on supported software. That's so complicated I can't get my head round it.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003 Reply with quote

Jedi

Vitor wrote:
juanmg wrote:
its kind of complicated

Clearly. Your customers are prepared to run on out of support software rather than spend no money on supported software. That's so complicated I can't get my head round it.

The money issue is more likely the cost, effort and inconvenience of upgrading rather than ongoing MQ license costs. They are probably thinking: Its been running OK for years, so why change? Its a risk / cost trade-off. They may think they they can battle through one high severity problem with an extended outage, every 5 years or so, on unsupported software. So what is the compelling reason to upgrade, even if old versions are no longer officially supported by the vendor (ie. they won't fix any new problems) ?

BTW, I fully agree with always running supported software.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Asked Mr. Google 'mq 5.3 system requirements' gave me this: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/wmq/requirements/index3.html
gunter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

5.3 works with 2003 Server, but keep in mind, this is maybe not true for every configuration and may change after installing updates.
I'm sure IBM will not test 5.3 with windows 2003 and will not provide any fixpacks to solve problems with it.

So, if you get it running, don't touch the running system.

I never tried 5.2 on windows 2003 and I believe it was out of support when windows 2003 came out. If you do not have a problem running a not supported version, try it. If it runs today, there is no reason for not running tomorrow.

But after a problem, replacing hardware..., it is possible, you don't get it running again.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ 5.2/5.3 and Windows 2003
Jump to: