ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » IBM MQ vs Oracle AQ

IBM MQ vs Oracle AQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ucbus1
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: IBM MQ vs Oracle AQ Reply with quote

Knight

All:
I know the general difference between IBM MQ and Oracle AQ.
1. IBM MQ is MOM based 1. Oralce AQ is database cluster based.

I need to have more details on one to one as regards to throughput, performance and some real data.

Could you please point me to right document/source that can provide the above details?
Thanks
ucbus1
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Well.. I though I had initiated a hot discussion topic. Bit surprised to find that no one really evaluated the pros and cons of both. I have searched all over the forums could not come up wth a list.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Contratulations! You have been designated to discover what the differences and similarities, and pros and cons are; then report back.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ucbus1 wrote:
Well.. I though I had initiated a hot discussion topic. Bit surprised to find that no one really evaluated the pros and cons of both. I have searched all over the forums could not come up wth a list.

Anyone on the board is going to be using the Websphere product set.

Until you convince us otherwise. Or not.

Those of us with WMQ, WMB and Oracle DBs await your findings with interest.
ucbus1
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I have been using the Websphere stack and now I am asked to take a look at Oracle stack. Though convinced Websphere stack would be apt, can not overthorow Oracle, especially with limited knowledge. I am sure some of the forum members would have migrated otherway round ( Oracle to Websphere) and thought could get valuable insight. Anyways
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Ignoring for a moment the love-affair we all have with MQ and the other products under the WebSphere umbrella, it is (or should be) the business requirement that drives the decision on what to buy.

While wearing my consultant hat, I need to have an understanding of a
products cost and benefit in order to address client needs.

Again, we eagerly await your analysis of MQ vs. Oracle AQ.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ucbus1 wrote:
I have been using the Websphere stack and now I am asked to take a look at Oracle stack. Though convinced Websphere stack would be apt, can not overthorow Oracle, especially with limited knowledge. I am sure some of the forum members would have migrated otherway round ( Oracle to Websphere) and thought could get valuable insight. Anyways

It really depends in which world you are living and what you are trying to do with your MOM.

If you live exclusively within an Oracle world, AQ might be a better fit for YOU.
We live in a very mixed world and run the MQ/AQ gateway from Oracle. This gives us a road into the PL/SQL stack running off of Oracle AQ.

Enjoy
SAFraser
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Like fjb_saper, we use Oracle's AQ gateway to MQ for certain transactions.

I think you can't make a pros and cons without a description of the business requirement against which to judge each products' features.

In our case, there was a thought to eliminate the application that sat between MQ and Oracle, allowing Oracle to access MQ more directly. If I had a magic wand, I would make it go away. We only use it for a limited subset of transactions but it has added an extra technology to be supported, with no value added (that I can see). It is relatively stable, but lacks good error reporting when trouble occurs.

I have no experience with Oracle AQ in any other type of implementation.
George Carey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: renewing the question Reply with quote

Knight

I will resubmit the original posters query for the same reasons.

I am dealing with an Oracle shop that has used MQ for half of its applications and Oracle AQ for the other half. The Oracle camp has won the application turf battle and wants the other half to use AQ and get off of MQ unless there are demonstrable reasons to keep MQ for the application.

The applications are all Java using Oracle app server and Oracle DB and using JMS so MQ API advantages have been some what neutralized.

Perhaps the issue could be worded as a salesman's challenge. Hey I have a customer that is an Oracle shop using Oracle AQ with JMS and Oracle comm components to do distributed application interfacing and want to know why it should look at MQ for any reason(s).

New apps will be written and current enhanced ... any reasons to use MQ instead of AQ for EAI, Monitoring or Administration reasons ?

I see a lot on howto integrate AQ and MQ but no direct vis a vis info.

rgrds
GTC
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It can be very difficult for a software development team to produce "vis a vis" info while still maintaining the necessary legal hands-off to assert that you did not infringe on someone else's intellectual property.

Presumably there was a set of business justifications at the start of the projects that employed MQ as to why they were using MQ.

Presumably those justifications haven't changed.

Ask, also, the following questions: which messaging system has required more intervention into the application logic? which messaging system has required more intervention over the lifetime of the application? which messaging system has required more work and effort from system administration teams to install and more importantly to support and maintain? Which one has generated more internal troubletickets?
Mehrdad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

The Account is likely (for sure?) to have assigned IBM hardware and software reps, technical staff, ..... fair bet they know the situation at hand there and would be willing tp offer their views on the subject.
George Carey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: a tact Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
"... which messaging system has required more intervention into the application logic? which messaging system has required more intervention over the lifetime of the application? ..."

I believe that is the proper tact ...I will put my thinking cap on for this approach. As a number of developers (the ones that lost the turf war!) have stated ... MQ just works.

They wanted to know how easy MQ was admined and monitored as well... unfortunately Oracle has integrated the app server administration functions to seemlessly administer AQ functions with its channels and queues, although channels are different animals for AQ. I have a disadvantage in not having a proper understanding what the can and can't dos of Oracle AQ are.
We are also using DataPowers for minor digital signature task maybe a tight tie in there could offer some leverage over AQ (e.g. MPGW and FSHs).

Also on Mehrdad's comment:
Quote:
"The Account is likely (for sure?) to have assigned IBM hardware and software reps, technical staff, ..."
Not really the case ... for various reasons ... not needing detail here. And most support know IBM product and not competitors to any extent (a normal situation for any vendor I would suppose).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » IBM MQ vs Oracle AQ
Jump to: