ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Mq installation

Mq installation « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
career
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Mq installation Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi all,

can i install 2 websphere MQ instances on the same node with two different paths......like

opt/mqm1 under user and group id mqm1

and

opt/mqm2 under user and group id mqm2

will i be having any problems if i install like this

we are planning to have two installations on two directories on the same node ....i.e two binaries (opt/mqm1 and opt/mqm2) to acess two queue data (var/mqm1 and var/mqm2) on the same node...is this possible??

thanks,
AkankshA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

AFAIK NO
JuulV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Why do you want two sets of binaries? You can create multiple queue managers on a single node...

And if you really need 2 sets of binaries, you could do so, but you'll have to create the second set manually (I think)
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mq installation Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

career wrote:
we are planning to have two installations on two directories on the same node ....i.e two binaries (opt/mqm1 and opt/mqm2) to acess two queue data (var/mqm1 and var/mqm2) on the same node...is this possible??

It might be possible with some judicious editing and configuration.

It would almost certainly be unsupported by IBM when (I don't say if) you hit problems.

I join with the other posters in wondering what possible requirement you could be trying to meet.

Please share. I notice a lot of your previous posts have concerned HA, but what kind of HA uses the same node?
Philip Morten
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mq installation Reply with quote

Master

career wrote:
hi all,

can i install 2 websphere MQ instances on the same node with two different paths......like

opt/mqm1 under user and group id mqm1

and

opt/mqm2 under user and group id mqm2

will i be having any problems if i install like this

thanks,

No you can't do this, the installation does not support relocation, but it is not only an installation issue, for example, the executables have the path to the shared libraries embedded in them.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mq installation Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Philip Morten wrote:
No you can't do this

That's as definitive as it gets...
career
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi vitor,

our actual requirment is HA but my project manager wants to have two seperate instances of websphere MQ running on the same node in two different directories....according to him as (he was a people soft admin/developer) it is possible in "people soft" and other few technologies...i am not aware of wht happens in them....

So, he asked me to do some protype testing and give him results wether it is fesible or not. I am pretty confident tht it is not possible. But then he asked me to login as a root and create two different user IDs and install MQ in two different paths ..and he asks me why it is not done in MQ as it can be supported in other technologies.......to be frank i have no idea what he wants to do......if it works then he may say what he wants to implement.....as of now it was a discussion b/w him and me. He asked me to implement and give report.

Will be more than happy to listen to any suggestions & advices.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

It can't be done.

This isn't how to do HA with MQ, either.

There's a SupportPac, MC91, that discusses how to do HA with MQ.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

career wrote:
my project manager

And your taking technical advise from this person!

All kidding aside, if these arguments cannot convince your "project manager" this cannot be done, then you have insurmountable non-technical problems.
Solution Developer - WMB V6.1 & V6.0, WMQ V5.3
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

career wrote:
it is possible in "people soft"

It might well be. It might well be possible in a numbre of technologies. It's still a daft thing to attempt.

career wrote:
Will be more than happy to listen to any suggestions & advices.

Tell him it's not possible, it's a silly idea and he's an idiot? Career limiting certainly, career ending possibly but oh so very satisfying!

Certainly get him to read a good book on HA general principles. Then something a bit more specific on the technologies involved.
career
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi jefflowrey,

yaa we are following MC91 to implement HA. I dont think this is for HA. He (my project manager) wants it for some thing else. he asked me to implement the above said and give him result....if it is done or why it can't be done. according him this can be implemented as other technologies are supporting to have two instances on different directories on same node.

Now i am looking into reasons to support my saying tht it cant be done. plz advice.

Thanks!
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Phillip Morten already told you exactly why this can't be done.

Quote:
the installation does not support relocation, but it is not only an installation issue, for example, the executables have the path to the shared libraries embedded in them.

You can do this on zOS, by the way. That's an entirely different codebase.

There's no reason to do this, as one installation can support many queue managers.

Tell your PM that MQ doesn't work this way, despite the fact that "other" products do. Tell your PM that you can't even TRY this, as the installer won't let you.

Tell your PM to post here, if your PM has further confusion as to why MQ is not PeopleSoft.
career
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi vitor and JosephGramig,

yaa i know from the day one he is stupid and idiot but what to do this is all abt my bread and butter
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

career wrote:
Now i am looking into reasons to support my saying tht it cant be done.

Philip Morton wrote:
No you can't do this

How much more do you want???

The absolute answer will come from a PMR. Which Mr Morton will probably end up responding to!

You seriously need to push back on this guy and ask what he thinks (I use the term guardedly) he's going to achieve.

Myself I'd use the "call him an idiot" plan, but that's just me. It's all nonsense from either an HA or installation point of view, even if you could get it to work.

The only possible use would be to run 2 versions of the software simultaniously on the same box, and that's a disaster waiting to happen. Could explain a lot about PeopleSoft if that's a common practice though......
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

career wrote:
what to do this is all abt my bread and butter

I've made my suggestion. Man does not live by bread alone, and it's a liberating expereince I can tell you.

Go with the suggestion of jefflowrey and get him to post his thoughts here, referencing this thread. We'd all be interested to here his views on software configuration; I for one could use a laugh.

Last edited by Vitor on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Mq installation
Jump to: