ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » packing and data conversion from Ascii to EBCDIC

packing and data conversion from Ascii to EBCDIC « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ramki
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi
Can you help me with this? One more question from me...........
I did the test for the packing and EBCDIC conversion.
My message is going from NT(ASCII format) to MQSI first , gets the packing done there and then goes to Mainframe(EBCDIC). Here I am doing the conversion in the Queue2file(i,e doing the conversion when doing the get from queue on mainframe). I viewed the result in HEX format on Mainframe and noted it. The result is: 0C 68 E5 F4 12 71 A7 E5 F4 12
I repeated the test with packing and conversion in MQSI i.e set the convert option to yes and CCSID=037 and no conversion in the queue2file. This time I got a different message in the queue on MF. I got
0C 80 56 34 12 90 78 56 34 12.

My understanding is, in both these cases, our aim is same. In the first case we wanted MQSI to handle JUST the packin and let the conversion be done in thewhile doing the get from queue and in the second case We let MQSI handle both Packing and conversion.
note:In the test case of the messageset I used the float as input and packeddecimal as output and the conversion is from Ascii to EBCIDC,as it is going from NT to Mainframe. I used example "1234567890123456789" for input.
Please help me understand why we are getting a different message values. I appreciate you help. Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Ramki R
EddieA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Looking at the messages I think I can work out what's happened. Well most of it anyway.

You started with a ASCII string 1234567890123456789 which you wanted converting into packed decimal. That packed decimal, on the mainframe, would be X'12 34 56 78 90 12 34 56 78 9C'.

Looking at the 2 outputs, MQSI did a conversion to PD, but what it actually put out was X'12 34 56 78 90 12 34 56 80 0C'. You may have hit an inbuilt limit or something. Not sure.

Now, to what you see.

The first message has been converted from ASCII to EBCDIC. The problem here is that the field is packed decimal and as such should not be converted. You only convert 'printable', non-hex characters. This is the conversion that uses CCSID.

The second message is almost right. The only thing wrong is that you didn't set the Encoding value to say it was mainframe format you wanted. That's why it's reversed.

So all you need do is set the Encoding to the correct value in MQSI.

BTW. Did you see my reply in your other thread on this subject. It talks about CCSID, Encoding, and converting.

Cheers.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » packing and data conversion from Ascii to EBCDIC
Jump to: