ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » App appears blocked until any key is hit

App appears blocked until any key is hit « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jmac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I have this really strange problem that occurred after installing MQSeries 5.2.

I have a multithreaded App one thread of which does a System.in.read(). It seems that this is causing the entire app to block waiting for input. I am running this on both WinNT and Wkn2K with the same results. Colleagues running the same app on Win2K with MQ 5.1 CSD6 do not experience the same behaviour.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kolban
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What does the other thread do? What should it be doing while the primary thread is blocked in the keyboard read?
jmac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

There are MANY other threads. Some of them monitor MQ queues, so during startup they are in the process of Accessing the QueueManagers, then doing get on the Queue. They then loop endlessly waiting on the queues with a 5 second timeout. The thing that is so strange here, is that this code works UNCHANGED on a system with MQ 5.1 installed. Also, I know that if I do not start any threads which monitor queues, that the app does not block (Under 5.2). This is what leads me to believe this is some how MQSeries related. Agrreed that this seems really strange, but that's what I'm seeing.

Thanks for any additional hints you can provide.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kolban
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

A quick thought ... does each of the other threads have their own MQQueueManager object? A blocking get on a specific MQQueueManager object accessed queue should result in a blockage of all other MQ operations.

Is there any non-MQ work going on in other threads? How about adding a test thread that outputs "tick" every second to show it is still running... see what happens to that thread when you block on input.
jmac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Each thread has its own MQQueueManager object and is accessed with MQC.MQOO_INPUT_SHARED and MQC.MQGMO_SYNCPOINT.

Based on your suggestion I ran a little test and it appears that the QueueManagers are blocking until I enter something on the console (just hitting the Enter key does it).

Further testing has shown me that the threads are issuing the call to get a new MQQueueManager object, but are not returning until there is some input on the console.
Thanks for your help

MQSeries Workflow

[ This Message was edited by: jmac on 2001-09-21 11:32 ]

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » App appears blocked until any key is hit
Jump to: